1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

low on virtual memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmcd, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmcd

dmcd Thread Starter

I use windows XP and have a modern computer (with 2 hard drives - both are half full). I have had a lot of problems recently and now during start up I am getting an error message saying "low on virtual memory" The computer has been running slow for a week.
    Can anyone help me to fix this>?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Check your VM settings under Control Panel - System -> Advanced -> Settings (performance) - Advanced and Change to see your current settings.

You may want to run a virus scanner. Here's two free online scanners:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym

You may also want to do some adaware/spyware scans. I recommend using Adaware and Spybot for this task. Be sure to update thme abefore scanning the computer and fix all problems they find.

This is most likely a software issue not hardware.

3. dmcd

dmcd Thread Starter

thank you for your advice - I looked at the virtual memory, but dont really understand what it means. I have two drives - it said next to one of them (C) that the paging file size is 384-768. It didn't have anything next to D Drive. Then it said that the space available is 20165MB. Total paging file size for all drives is recommended 382mb currently allocated 439mb. Does this make sense to you?? I am now about to download the virus scanner. Any further help/information would be great!

4. dmcd

dmcd Thread Starter

URGENT!!..........The virus scanner said I have a worm virus on my computer [email protected] - but I dont know how to clean it from my computer as it says it is uncleanable. Can anyone help me please?

5. catlady13

catlady13

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    VM settings are fine; its the virus thats the problem. Once you clean the virus get yourself an antivirus program. Norton Antivirus is good, so is AVG from www.grisoft.com and its free.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice