Low Signal Using 5Ghz Wireless Channel

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

1st3p2me

Greetings all! Im new here and not really good with tech stuff so please forgive me if this problem I have is easy to resolve. I recently purchased the Linksys AE1000 wireless USB adapter for my desktop computer. It is currently connect to my Linksys WRT400N Dual Band Wireless Router.
My problem I have is that I am currently getting 2/5 bars for signal strength where my 2.4 channel gets 5/5 bars. I was wondering if there's specific settings I need to adjust to improve the signal strength for 5Ghz channel other than the "default" settings. My router is located in the living room of my house and isn't far away from the bedroom I have my desktop in, so I do not believe it would be caused by distance.
The reason for me wanting to use the 5ghz channel is because I play a lot of online games and I have noticing a lag that I have never received before. My brother plays the same games on my laptop in the same room and he never gets lag like I do. I have 2 laptops, another desktop, ps3, and 2 xboxs connected to the 2.4ghz so I figure switching to the 5ghz would be a good idea since nothing was on it sharing the connection.
Any assistance would be great and I appreciate the time took to read and helping with this issue. Thank you.

TerryNet

Terry
See Is 5 GHz Wireless Network Hardware Better than 2.4 GHz?. In particular:

GHz and Network Range

The higher the frequency of a wireless signal, the shorter its range. Thus, 2.4 GHz networks cover a substantially larger range than 5 GHz wireless networks. In particular, the higher frequency wireless signals of 5 GHz networks do not penetrate solid objects nearly as well as do 2.4 GHz signals, limiting their reach inside homes.

1st3p2me

Thank you for your time to post. I have read somewhere that 5ghz is a weaker signal but some people said they had full signal even for a 2 story house. Im currently runnin on default router settings and have'nt messed with the advanced settings at all. Just curious if anyone knew a specific setting for Channel Width, Wide Channel, and Standard Channel to help improve it at all. I haven't played any online games yet to see if the signal makes a difference or not.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts