1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

low speaker volume

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by amyphx, Jun 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amyphx

amyphx Thread Starter

Just got a "new" used computer tower. It's a Compaq Presario Deskpro...Anyway, when I try to listen to CDs or the radio on the internet, the volume is SO LOW! I have the volumes maxed out. I've read some of the other posts regarding this and tried some of the suggestions to no avail. Are some speakers not compatible w/certain computers? Help! Amy

2. Dark Clown

Dark Clown

There are two schools of thought that spring to mind. I am using the same speakers as my old computer for my current computer they are quite small and so the sound is fairly low, but it was not too bad on my old computer. I got my new one wacked the speakers in and they are as quite as a mouse, so i figure it must be the on board sound.

So anyway you can either buy some bigger speakers (recommended) or get a good sounds card the sound card will give you a bit clearer and lounder sound but it wont be worth it if your speakers are crusty.

3. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    Hi and welcome to TSG!

Have you tried right clicking on the speaker icon down in the right side of the tray. Choose Open Volume Controls. Check your wave level there. Could be it's turned way down.
    JustMe2

4. amyphx

amyphx Thread Starter

I opened the volume controls and all are up to the max.

Amy

5. amyphx

amyphx Thread Starter

And I have a Sound Blaster card already installed. I checked and it is installed correctly. I even checked to see if I could update the drivers and was told that I had the updated version...Amy

6. Dark Clown

Dark Clown

well then how big are your speakers? try head phones and see if they are quite still.

7. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    Another thought just occured to me. Double check all connections. Could be one not completely plugged in.
    JustMe2

8. amyphx

amyphx Thread Starter

Yeah, I was wondering if the connection to the computer wasn't just right. The speakers are pretty old and maybe I need a new cable....or new speakers...Amy

9. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    And yet another thought...Have you made sure that the speakers are plugged into the correct place on the sound card. I'm only asking, because my daughter did this just last week, and then couldn't figure out why the sound wouldn't go any louder! :)
    JustMe2

10. Dark Clown

Dark Clown

no man if you plug it in either the mic or the cd in holes the sound wont go at all and its not the cables try head phones im telling you.

11. amyphx

amyphx Thread Starter

I can't try headphones until I get home tonight. I will try and get back to you guys...Thanks...Amy

12. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi Amy

Just a thought. Are you using powered or unpowered speakers? Some older sound cards had a jumper on them you had to change if you were not using powered speakers. Some sound cards expect that all your speakers are powered and only provide a line out not a speaker connection.

13. amyphx

amyphx Thread Starter

Lurker....can you give me more information about this? I'm not real computer smart :) Thanks, Amy

14. amyphx

amyphx Thread Starter

Lurker...They are unpowered speakers...Amy

15. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Hello Amy,

I think Lurker nailed it. I'm currently repairing a Compaq Presario and it has powered speakers. For the heck of it I tried some generic unpowered speakers and sure enough the volume was so low that it was a real strain to hear it.

Could you borrow a pair of powered speakers somewhere to see if indeed this is the problem. When we say "powered" we mean that they plug into a wall outlet in addition to the sound card. You can pick up a decent set for less than $15.00 at your local office supply store or Walmart, etc.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/139409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice