1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Low Speed Test Results

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jacobwood, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jacobwood

jacobwood Thread Starter

Hey, what can I do to speed up download times. [​IMG]
    I have a 54mbps SMC 2804WBRP-G-CA Router upstairs on which I have a wireless connection to this desktop downstairs through a Linksys WUSB54GC wireless-G USB adapter. The signal strength is "Very good" and consistently 54 mbps. My question is how can my slow download times be possible because of this. Does anyone have any tips? Thank you.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Without knowing what your ISP maximum speeds are, it's difficult to say. Do you get the same speeds when you use a wired connection to the router?

3. jacobwood

jacobwood Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by a wired connection to the router. I don't know what the max speed is for my ISP. This is one result I had from a while ago. [​IMG] How could it be so slow now is my question. Thanks for replying.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A "wired" connection is using a CAT5 cable from the machine to one of the ports on the router. In other words, NOT a wireless connection.

As far as why it's slow, there can be many reasons.

Register at DSLReports and run their line quality tests. Post a link to the results here.

5. tek guy

tek guy

Go to the computer that is connected directly to the router and check the speed that you have. Check the speed of the computer that is connected to the router and the post the result.
    Who is your ISP?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650058

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice