1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Low System Resources

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tbeatham, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tbeatham

tbeatham Thread Starter

Following a major system crash a wjile ago requiring me to wipe my harddrive and start again - my pc is regularly showing low system resources even though I may only have 2 applications running at any one time - it never did this before the crash.
    I am running a 1.2ghz processor with 384 meg ram and a 40 gb Maxtor h/drive 7200rpm.
    The main cause of the resource eating seems to be down to something called ddhelp or directx help or something like that and am just not sure what to do.
    Everything just seems to run very slowly and I quite often get the dreaded blue screen - sometimes whilst trying to shut down I also get a Windows Protection Error Halt screen as well.
    PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME !!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

What operating system?

Perhaps post your startup items, start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok...go to software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

3. ~Candy~

Email from poster:

I am using Microsoft Millenium and will get back to you with the other info. you have requested.
    Thanks for your help,

Second email from poster: (it'll be easier if you reply back to the thread as I may be away)

This is the message:

Here is the rest of the information you requested to help me out. Hope it helps.
    THANX

*StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    AdaptecDirectCD "c:\program files\adaptec\easy cd creator 5\directcd\directcd.exe" All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Alogserv c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\alogserv.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    CreateCD50 c:\progra~1\common~1\adapte~1\createcd\create~1.exe -r All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    DownloadAccelerator c:\progra~1\dap\dap.exe /startup All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    EnsoniqMixer starter.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    H/PC Connection Agent "c:\program files\microsoft activesync\wcescomm.exe" .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    LVComs c:\windows\system\lvcoms.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    McAfeeVirusScanService c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\avsynmgr.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    Microsoft Office c:\progra~1\micros~1\office\osa9.exe -b -l .DEFAULT Startup
    MiniLog c:\windows\system\zonelabs\minilog.exe -service All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    QAGENT c:\quickenw\qagent.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ReleaseRAM c:\program files\r-ram\rram.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SchedulingAgent mstask.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    SystemTray systray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    TrueVector c:\windows\system\zonelabs\vsmon.exe -service All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    webHancer Agent "c:\program files\webhancer\programs\whagent.exe" All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ZoneAlarm c:\progra~1\zonela~1\zoneal~1\zoneal~1.exe -nopopup All Users Common Startup

4. ~Candy~

AdaptecDirectCD "c:\program files\adaptec\easy cd creator 5\directcd\directcd.exe"
    CreateCD50 c:\progra~1\common~1\adapte~1\createcd\create~1.exe -r
    DownloadAccelerator c:\progra~1\dap\dap.exe /startup All
    EnsoniqMixer starter.exe All Users
    Microsoft Office c:\progra~1\micros~1\office\osa9.exe -b -
    PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s
    QAGENT c:\quickenw\qagent.exe
    ReleaseRAM c:\program files\r-ram\rram.exe
    webHancer Agent "c:\program files\webhancer\programs\whagent.exe"

For starters, I'd go to start button, run, then type msconfig and hit enter, go to the startup tab and uncheck these items.

5. buckaroo

buckaroo

6. ~Candy~

Email from poster: (sorry for the delay, but I get sooooooo many emails, it's quicker to post back to the thread, and btw, thank you for the nice compliment ;) )

This is the message:

Have done the stuff that you suggested from the start up folder and things seemed to be a little better but I am still getting problems shutting down and still seems to run a little slow.
    Do you have anymore suggestions ?

Thanks,

7. buckaroo

buckaroo

Check this....when you first boot up, without starting any applications, right click on My Computer>Properties>Performance Tab (at least on WIN 98) and see how much System Resources are reported free. From a cold boot, you should start at 80% to 85% free (ideally).

If you're not there, you may need to pick through your startup folder again, using that startup listing as a guide, and maybe even make some tough choices on what to keep from starting up.

:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice