1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Low Throughput

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nikon, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nikon

Nikon Thread Starter

Hi

A new PC with the following specification was used to replaced another as a ftp server. But low throughput was experienced by the users with the replacement set. Previously, an average throughput of 2.5-3Mbps was achievable as compared to the current value of 1Mbps. The same FTP software was used in both PC

New PC specification
    Intel P4 Duo Core 2.66
    1GB RAM
    80 HDD
    Realtek 8169/8110 NIC
    Win XP

What could be wrong?

2. O111111O

O111111O

NIC duplex

If you're plugged into a switchport, either the switchport or your NIC have duplex forced to either full or half, and it's mismatched on the other side.

3. Nikon

Nikon Thread Starter

The NIC card were set to full duplex in both PCs ( the replaced and the replacing PC). Since the previous PC work with the same switchport in full duplex mode, can I assume that there would not be any conflict in the setting with the switchport as the new PC's NIC was also set to full duplex?

4. O111111O

O111111O

No you can't assume that.

What kind of a switch is it?

If it's an unmanageable switch, or there aren't dip switches to force duplex then your switch is relying on PHY negotiation. If it's forced on the card then it's a crap shoot.

So, check your switch. If it's not managed, then it relies on negotiation. If it relies on renegotiation then make the NIC in your PC do so.

5. Nikon

Nikon Thread Starter

The operation guy could not give me a confirmation of the switch type

I tried setting the NIC card to both Auto negotiation and full duplex mode and both showed low throughput. I had also tried to do a PC to PC file transfer with cross ethernet cable and approximately 80Mbps transfer rate was obtained with full 100mbps full duplex setting in both NIC card. That could have ruled out hardware failure which I presume.

What else could be wrong? Pls advise

6. O111111O

O111111O

If you used crossover cable and everything works ok, then that rules out the NIC - however the NIC still needs to talk to the switch to forward Layer2 frames.... So, the switch.

Still sounds like a duplex issue. Did you reboot when you changed to autonegotiate?

7. Nikon

Nikon Thread Starter

Tried reboot after changes made but the PC still doesn't perform as expected. What could be wrong?

8. O111111O

O111111O

You try forcing the NIC to half duplex?

9. Nikon

Nikon Thread Starter

I have tried half duplex and another NIC card but there is no change in the throughput observe. Could the chipset used in the motherboard be the cause?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice