1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Low virtual memory error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by subirchetia, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. subirchetia

subirchetia Thread Starter

I run Windows XP professional sp2 on a P4 2.4GHz/512DDR/845MotherBoard/300GB 7400rpm HDD. I have noticed that if I keep my system running at night, which is when I generally download stuff from rapidshare and some torrents, it shows some kind of low virtual memory message when I have a look at it in the morning. Why is it happening? The applications that keep running throughout night are firefox, uTorrent, McAfee Security Center, and my DSL connection tool. What should I do to prevent this from happening? I have tried disabling most of my unwanted services and other startup items and it did not help. My pagefile is on C: drive and is set to 768-1000MB

2. sy2

sy2

Take a look here:
    http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=25448&rl=1

There's a section called "Steps to Optimizing Memory Management" which might help.

Off the top of my head, I would increase the page file as long as you've got plenty of HDD space (which it looks like you should), and I'd set the min and max of the page file to the same number. I read somewhere (awhile ago, can't remember) that setting the min and max equal to each other can improve performance since Windows doesn't have to screw around with resizing the file.

Give it a shot, post some results.

3. lubu

lubu

Thanks for the reply. I had checked my memory usage for all the running applications and it appeared that uTorrent was the culprit, it hogged most of my resources overnight due to the multiple seeding and leeching ops that I keep running. So it seems that only way out for me would be to go for a memory upgrade.

Thanks and regards,

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Start by changing the VM setting to System Managed.

It is the setting of the MAX to only 100 that is causing the error.

More ram will obviously help also, but the quick fix is this one.

5. lubu

lubu

Yes you've made a good point. I am changing the VM setting to System managed. Will keep you updated.

Thanks and regards,

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!