Low Virtual Memory

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CHH

I'm receiving the following error message when booting up....

"Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. during this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see help"
Boot up is very slow (5 mins) and the Paging File size is set at 116mb. I've tried to change it to 191mb but it won't take it.

Total RAM is 256mb.

I'm assuming it's a corrupt Paging File. Can this be sorted without doing a Windows Repair?

try deleting your temp. files
or upgrade to 512MB ram

do you have a bunch of extra stuff in your start up menu?

Could be you don't have enough free space on your hard drive. How much free space is left and can you delete some things if its getting full. Probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade to 512 meg also.

116 MB is pretty small. MS recommends at least 1.5 x RAM.

You say you can't increase it? Did you try setting BOTH minimum and maximum to, say, 384 MB?

If you comfortable with editing you registry go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory Management

At set "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" to 1. That will flush the pagefile everytime you restart. Makes the restart a little longer though.

And I recommend setting your page file to at least 512. Assuming you have enough room on your hard drive. Also make sure you don't have to many programs running in your tray or to many services running in the background.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online