1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Low volume on newly installed motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheRealBigTed, Aug 22, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. TheRealBigTed

TheRealBigTed Thread Starter

Hello i recently upgraded my motherboard cpu and ram. The board i got was a MSI b450 pro carbon ac with ryzen 5 3600 and 32 gig of geil ram running windows 10. The issue i have is that the sound volume is to low. Both speakers and headphones are turned up to maximum and it is still very low. I have reinstalled drivers, fiddled with all the settings, tried all the suggestions i have found from various videos and websites to no avail everything else on the newly installed board seems to be working fine any help would be greatly appreciated Cheers

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you double checked all of the Windows volume controls?

TheRealBigTed likes this.
  3. TheRealBigTed

Yeah mate that was one of the first things i did . Everything is at max
    cheers

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you do a clean install of windows OR did you just connect a drive with windows already installed?

5. TheRealBigTed

Connected the board to my old hard drive didn't do a fresh install

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What bios are you running on that board? Have you updated to the latest bios? The 3600 requires bios v17 which was only released last month. Unless you updated, I highly doubt your board shipped with that bios.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That may be part of the problem along with what I posted above. You can move a windows install however it requires following the procedure outlined at the top of the forum. Failure to follow the procedure almost always guarantees problems.

8. TheRealBigTed

Yes i updated the bios. The board and cpu would'nt work unless i updated first.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As a simple test, boot the system with a linux live usb. If the sound works normally under linux, you know the hardware works. If you still have the problem, then you know the onboard sound is defective [which would not surprise me since I am no fan of msi]
    Use linux mint or ubuntu for this task. Linux will setup all hardware on boot and this will not affect your hd or windows install at all.

10. TheRealBigTed

cheers i will try this

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is a simple test and once done, you know where to look for the problem.
    After booting linux, play a video, watch a movie, play a mp3 or whatever. See how the sound works.

12. TheRealBigTed

Cheers the sound is the same in linux. So the motherboard is faulty. I will send it back for replacement.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW you would need the X570 version of that board to be sure that it will POST with a 3xxx processor.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice