Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lower CD Capacity on Win 8.1?

894 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TopSho27 
#1 ·
I purchased a new Toshiba laptop with Win 8.1. On my old XP Dell, I was able to copy a 699MB folder of music MP3 files to a CD to play in my car. I've done it many times, and have 8 folders on my computer that I frequently copy to CDs for that purpose. In the past, I've copied 700 MB of files to a CD without difficulty, so I learned to maximize the number of files by storing the data in groups of 699 MB to avoid overloading a disk.

I tried to copy those folders to a CD using the new Win 8.1 machine, and have discovered that the CD capacity is only about 696 MB. I'm using the same CDs, and attempting to copy the same files. The only difference is the operating system and the new hardware. When I contacted Toshiba, the tech said Windows 8.1 stores files differently on CDs and the capacity is about 2MB less than on older machines.

Can this possibly be true?!? Is this a Windows 8.1 problem, or a hardware problem? Do I need to use my older XP computer to maximize the number of files I can store on a CD? Can anyone explain what's happening? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.