1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lowering cpu temp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by max 8, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Hello. I'm running a AMD t-bird 1200mhz cpu and the temp ranges from 46c (idle) to 50c (in use). my system temp is around 27c.
    I have a case fan sucking in air and a case fan blowing air out.
    my cpu fan is a thermaltake heat sink fan at 4600rpm.
    I was thinking of installing another fan, the kind that you screw on where a pci card usually goes.
    I'm kinda new at this so I apologize if my terms are wrong.
    Will that lower my temps any? and If so, will it be significant enough to make a difference.
    My system is running perfectly fine as is.

2. brianF

brianF

My opinion the slot fan's stink. they don't last very long.

If you have an open 5 1.4 bay get one of the twin turbos that fit there. They move a lot of air

3. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Thanks for the very quick response.
    Scrap the slot fan.
    will the twin turbo fan kit help reduce my cpu temp?

4. brianF

brianF

One important step in keeping cpu temp down is to eliminate the hot air inside the case. Outside of a new cpu heatsink/fan it will hell. Pulls hot air out the top allowing cool room air to come in through the vents.

Also redoing your current heatsink fan with good thermal grease or arctic silver compound will help, providing a better heat transfer mechanism between the cpu and the heatsink.

5. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

I was thinking of replacing my cpu fan w/ one that runs at over 7000rpm. will that help?

6. brianF

brianF

It may and it may not. Depends if the heatsink has the heat to get rid of. Going to be noisy I would bet.

Try www.overclockers.com they do a lot of cooling articles and reviews

7. Marturo

Marturo Guest

Does your Thermatake heatsink look like a round tower with a swirl to the fins? If so does it have 1 or 2 fans? My single fan model runs at 6000 rpm, the double runs at 5700 & 5400.
    Marturo

8. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Thanks again Brian.
    I think I'll go pick up a bay freezer in the next few days.
    by the way, your site rocks.

9. Gary R

Gary R

CPU for my Athlon T-Bird 1 GHz. runs generally 37 to 41 F ABOVE the ambient room temperature with the same 4600 RPM fan.
    As I type this, room temp is 61F & CPU temp is 101F. Only other fan in the box is the exhaust fan for the 300W. ATX power supply, but don't know how much airflow (cfm) it has.
    In the summer, due to the utility charges, I seldom run the airconditioning, so ambient temp in room will hit 94 - 98 degrees even with a floor fan running.
    So, would it be best to get the 5.25 bay fan (or double fan) because of these room temp's. I notice the slot fan wasn't too well-liked :) AND, how hard to install are they, I'm not very good at mechanical stuff, & store I bought from's tech service is $45(US)/Hr :(
    Do the Cd Writer, & the DVD player have to be uninstalled before the fan can be installed?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice