LP audio to PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jaleh

Hi
:confused: I know it is a very basic question but.....
I have a Bush MTT1 turntable which I want to use to record some old LPs onto my HD and then to CD. The turntable has two small jackplugs - one red, one white. Do I need further hardware to connect these two leads to my soundcard?
Any help or advice gratefully received.

If the turntable is a stand alone one and not amplified in any way, you will need to connect your turntable to a pre-amp and then connect the pre-amp to your soundcard. The signal from a turntable alone is not as strong as say from a tape player/cd player, hence the need for a pre-amp if your normal amplifier does not have a dedicated phono input.
The two connections you refer to are the ones to use from the pre-amp, (phono out from turntable to phono in on preamp, phono out from preamp to line in on soundcard) you'll need a lead that will then convert these 2 phono leads to a single jack plug for the line in connection on your sound card. This converter lead is widely available.

jaleh

Thanks Moby. I believe the turntable has a pre-amp incorporated in it. I assume that I need a 2 into connector and that should do the job.

That is correct. I'm just in the middle of converting my tapes as we speak.
This is the lead you need. 2 phonos one end to a jack the other.

Attachments

We got a turntable with a preamp and it has the RCA plugs and we just got a RCA to headphone jack converter and plugged it into the line- in on our soundcard then we got a program called Goldwave www.goldwave.com and use that and it rids of crackleing found in some music from LPs... just a bit of info... hope it helps but you have to manually split the tracks but that is easy... does anyone else have any other recommendations on what program to use?

I've been using Magix Audio Cleaning Lab and I'm pretty happy with it. It automatically sets the song breaks, but you still need to check it because sometimes it misses a few. It also removes clicks and pops.

oh ok that sounds good... how long does the gap have to be for it to split it? because my dad is getting me to rip his Motown story which i have done a few times and it is very boring to sit and listen to (for me anyways) and i can see the tracks on the LP and they are marked but there is hardly any gap between each track... i will give that program a try tho thanks

The Magix default for a gap is 1500ms, but you can tweak several settings if you are getting too many breaks or not enough. What you can do is download a demo version from here:

http://www.soft32.com/download_6296.html

You can test out the program and see how you like it. If you do, shop around on-line and you should be able to get a copy for $15 or less.

jaleh

Thanks to all. Your postings take me on a bit further down the line.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online