1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lsass.exe constant hard drive activity!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by yiuec, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yiuec

yiuec Thread Starter

Not the virus one!

If I open up task manager and enable the I/O columns, this Lsass.exe keeps reading and writing onto my hard drive. What's causing this and is it normal? I have Windows xp SP2. I'm always been checking for viruses and spyware, so i'm positive some windows service is writing some logs or doing something! Am I the only one?!

2. lmcam

lmcam

I had a similar problem on a laptop at work. The user was having the internet sessions hang; seemingly going no where. Then the machine would get really slow for everything.

Take a closer look through the Task Manager Processes to see if you can find a Webassist. If you see it running after you've connected to the internet this may be what is happening.

The real problem for the machine referrenced above was Webassist which would start chewing up CPU time any time IE (internet) was started. You can end Webassist and Lsass will continue to chew away at the CPU time. Webassist is some spyware. You can run SpyBot (its freeware) and it may correct the problem. I finally just rebooted the machine, immediately went to webassist and renamed it something else. Poof, problem gone. There doesn't seem to be any issues without Webassist enabled and this user/machine doesn't need it for any programming, etc.

3. zmaster

zmaster

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/284127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice