1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lynne Hale's daughter has a homework question!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lynne Hale, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lynne Hale

Lynne Hale Thread Starter

Hi, I'm Lynne Hale's daughter Sandy,
    I'm doing my IT homework at the moment and am not sure about the answer to a question. Here is the question, I hope you can answer it for me. If you could I would be extremely grateful.(y)

Will an operating system using two processors operate at twice the speed? Give reasons for your answer.

Thanks.
    Sandy

2. Lynne Hale

I also have another question. Here it is.

List some different ways of classifying operating systems.

Thanks.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Desktop, Workstation, Server.

4. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

W:D W! Is this a sign of the times or what??? I wish I would have had the Internet around when I was in school. I might have done my homework or should say farmed out my homework to strangers on the Internet.

List some different ways of classifying operating systems

How about Multitasking or Singletasking operating systems.
    Open source operating systems like Linux
    32 bit and 64 bit operating systems
    That's all I can think of.
    That first question I'm just guessing but I think that two CPU's will be faster but maybe not twice as fast. Go look at this site for info about Intel's dual processors.

I also like using howstuffworks for finding out how stuff works.

:D (y)

5. plejon

plejon

No, a dual processor will not work twice as fast as a single processor.

Reasons:
    1) The dual processor requires extra software to divide the work between the processors (load balancing). This slows things down a bit. Compare it to painting your house: two people won't do it twice as fast as one. When the second guy comes in, you will have to explain him how you want it painted, divide the work, etc. That takes time
    2) The software programs you run should be adapted for use with dual processors. Otherwise, they will just run on one, and you won't notice any increase in speed at all. Specifically, instead of using one big task, they have to be divided in smaller subtasks (threads) that can be executed independently on seperate processors.

OS classification
    - graphical / text based
    - single user / multi user
    - stand alone / network
    - processor specific (designed for Intel x86, Sunsparc, motorola processors)

6. Lynne Hale

Thanks very much everyone for your help! I did try to work it out but I'm not very knowledgable on networks, and didn't know where to start looking on the Internet, so I came here!! Thanks again, I have a few more questions too but I'll ask them at another time.
    Sandy.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166524

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice