1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lynne Hale's daughter has another homework question!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lynne Hale, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lynne Hale

Lynne Hale Thread Starter

Hi again. At the moment I am looking at case studies based on Universities using networks on different campuses. I'm not sure of the answers to these few questions, so if you could help me I'd be really grateful once again!

- The university decides that security for its research department is vitally important on a particular campus. What type of cabling is it most likely to decide upon for this campus?

- A LAN is set up on one of its campuses using Ethernet. What types of cabling might be used?

- On a number of LANs at some of the university’s ordinary campuses, security is not such an issue and the university authorities decide in favour of the cheapest LAN available. What cabling type is this most likely to be?

- A newly employed technician, on hearing that a campus LAN uses a fibre optic cable to connect two buildings, complains that LANs ought to be restricted to a single building. Is she correct?

THANKS!!

2. scottosan

scottosan

In each building, depending on the distance from the wiring closets, Cat5e would be the cable of choice. If more than 100 meters, then fiber is desireable. Is the tech concerned about haveing 1 lan per building based on the amount of users, or because of the locations? The reason for using fiber is not only because of distance, it is also because it dangerous to use copper medium connecting 2 different building with different electrical grounds. This can be hazardous to equipment and technicians..Thus the use of fiber is always recommended for connecting 2 buildings regardless of the distance.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For security, I suspect fiber would be the desired media, since it's very difficult to tap into without killing the connection entirely.

4. Lynne Hale

Thanks so much for your help everyone. I only have 2 more questions and then that's it:

What cabling is usually used on an Ethernet?

What is the cheapest cabling to use on a LAN?

Thanks again.
    Sandy

5. scottosan

scottosan

Cat 5e. There are many different brands. Some cheaper than others.

6. JohnWill

CAT5 or CAT5e is what's currently used, and CAT5 would be the cheapest, since the newer CAT5e has higher specification requirements.

7. putasolution

putasolution

if ethernet, rather than fast ethernet, you could be using good old fashioned coaxial with 10base5 co-ax being capable of being used up to 1500ft. It is still favoured by a number of schools, especially those still using Token ring LANs, though at $186 per 1k ft not as cheap as cat 5e at $88 per 1k ft. The other advantage is that CAT 5 would give "room to grow"

8. JohnWill

I don't know any people that are still using coax, perhaps Europe is behind the times. :D

9. putasolution

putasolution

Possibly, more likely they were ahead of the times then, but now can't afford to upgrade ;)

I know a couple of firms that still use 10Tbase Token rings, but they hardly need much else.

10. Lynne Hale

Thanks so much!! I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't all helped me. Thank you thank you thank you!!
    Sandy

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice