1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved M.2 module ssd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Braydn.cs, Oct 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Braydn.cs

Braydn.cs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Braydn
    Hello

I have recently built a new computer I decided I would use an msi z170a gaming pro carbon motherboard, I also thought to accompany this I would get myself the samsung 850 evo ssd m.2 module with the connector being an m key 2280 so I could use it to hold my os, I checked motherboard compatibility the motherboard accepts a PCIe/sata III m.2 module to be connected, since the component has arrived it has been inserted into the on-board m.2 host controller which supports m key 2280 the board Explorer does not show it is plugged in neither does the bios and when I go into disk management on Windows it also can not see that the ssd is connected, I have tried changing bios to raid and still it does not see the m.2 ssd, I have done a little digging and was told that I need to install the samsung nvme driver and the samsung magician program when I run the nvme driver installer it says that no device is connected for it to install the driver for, all of my components have been handed to me at the door other than the m.2 module which royal mail kindly posted through my letter box and let fall from a height of about 3 foot does this sound like the component is faulty or the motherboard to be at fault? please help

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I never use msi motherboards however most boards with a M2 slot require a bios setting to be changed. You have to enable M2 and disable one or more sata ports. I downloaded and read the manual and it is just about useless in this regard. Check your bios to see if you have a M2 setting enable/disable. While it is possible to damage just about any part, I doubt dropping the drive did anything [as long as it was well packed ie bubble wrap, etc]

3. Braydn.cs

Braydn.cs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Braydn
    thank you for your response the component was not wrapped in any form of bubble wrap what so ever it came in its original box, inside an amazon cardboard envelope, which is why i thought the component might have been damaged by the fall, the only way for me to activate m.2 module on my msi motherboard is to activate the raid feature which i have already attempted it read the hdd but refuses to read the m.2 ssd as even being connected to the mother board at all even without the hdd connected msi have a things called m.2 genie and even that cant detect that the module is inserted any further help would be greatly appreciated thank you

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it was just in an envelope, then yes it might have been damaged. Have you reseated the m2 card and secured with the screw provided? If so, then it is probably damaged or defective.

5. Braydn.cs

Braydn.cs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Braydn

i have reseated it about about 10 times i have done the screw just tight enough that its holding in place but not so tight that it could damage the chip any further than it may already be, ive updated all drivers to the current and still not registering any where on my computer someone said try bios update but msi is not letting me download the newest bios i tried downloading it for over 12 hours and it was stuck at 0%

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Try a different browser or if msi has a different server, try that. I just downloaded the latest bios in <1 second.

7. Braydn.cs

Braydn.cs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Braydn
    im using the msi live update 6 program to get the bios as i cant find the official link for the newest bios MS-7A12 online version 1.60

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, NEVER use any bios updating program; you are just asking for a problem. The ONLY way to update a bios is to download the bios file manually and preform the update outside of windows. I checked the manual and msi does have a bios updating utility that is built into the bios. This is the preferred method for bios updating. Note a bios update is not difficult however an incorrect or corrupted flash can render your board unbootable ie junk AND most board mfg will not warrant a failed bios update.

Be sure you read and fully understand the update procedure.

9. Braydn.cs

Braydn.cs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Braydn
    I wasnt trying to use the program to flash the bios i was trying to use it to download because you can tell it to download so you can move it to a usb for bios flash through dos

10. Braydn.cs

Braydn.cs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Braydn
    it's ok though because stupid me just realised they have the bios on the website i just had to be in the services part of my motherboard

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!