1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved M.2 NVME boot + SATA ssd in raid 0 for mass storage build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FlyingEagle123, Sep 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FlyingEagle123

FlyingEagle123 Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    it's been a while building a new computer but missed a lot of technical developments the last years causing some questions.
    What I would like to achieve is a system with a fast boot drive (1TB) and 1 8TB mass storage drive.
    Relevant hardware:
    - Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Designare
    - Processor Intel i9-9900K
    - 1 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME SSD
    - 2 Samsung 860 EVO 4TB normal SATA III SSD's

Would it be possible to configure in BIOS the Samsung 970 as a NVME boot/OS drive and on the same time create an 8TB raid-0 drive with the 2 Samsung's 860 (attached to SATA connectors on MB) without using a dedicated Raid-card ?
    Planning backups to an external normal sataIII HD drive.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it is possible however I would NOT recommend doing so;
    1 Raid of any type is NOT for the home user. Raid is for servers that need the hot swap/rebuild capability without shutting down
    2 Onboard raid [what is on the motherboard] is less than useless. If you really, really have to have raid, then get a real raid controller. There is a reason why a raid controller costs hundreds of dollars; stability and performance.
    3 What happens to your raid array when your motherboard fails??? With a real raid card, a non-issue. You simply install the card into the new system, connect the drives, install the driver and done. Your data is still available

A much better option would be to use the nvme drive as the system drive and connect both ssd drives as individual drives. You still have 8TB of space and much less danger of data loss.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  3. Shazzalive

Shazzalive

First Name:
    Sharron
    What crjdriver said; + from my previous practical experience the RAID pair that you create will most likely have very little or no noticeable speed increase over a single non-RAID-configured Samsung 860 EVO SATA III SSD - unless you're dealing with vast amounts of data in huge files.

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    I'll add my two cents to this. I agree, mostly, with "crjdriver" on the RAID issue. Except for the part where it must be hot swap capable. The onboard RAID is a terrible idea. For the reason he mentioned and - even worse - you're suggesting a "striped" volume (Raid 0). Two independent disks configured as one. If one disk fails all data is gone without any chance of recovery. Except for a complete backup.
    If you really need RAID then spend the money and get a add-on Raid controller. Do not stripe the drives either. Unless you have a RAID 5 (minimum 3 disks) with a possible "hot" spare (a 4'th disk) you will lose everything when, not if, one drive fails. You can, for added data security, create a mirror (raid 1) and continue to work if one drive fails.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The hot swap capable refers to servers which need this capability.

6. FlyingEagle123

FlyingEagle123 Thread Starter

Thanks all for your great advices!
    In my (to be replaced) old system I actually got 6 mechanical 2TB drives on a Areca controller Raid-5 configuration for mass data storage which worked great for years.
    In new system wanted to loose those mechanical drives (as they dye faster as SSD's and generate a lot of noise) and replace them with SSD's.
    Realize now that my arguments getting 2 4TB SSD's in raid-0 (ease of use having just 1 drive letter and possibly have a bit of performance improvement) are not that important.
    Furthermore I learned that Samsung Magician cannot update firmware on SSD's in a raid configuration.
    To keep it as simple as possible will go with 2 separate 4TB SSD's and 1 very large external mechanical drive for backups using SyncBackPro a program which after initial backup only syncs the difference between source and destination where source is leading.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Many many years ago I had two raptors [10,000RPM drives] in raid0. They literally sounded like rock crushers; never failed and raptors are very reliable drives however the noise....

8. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Do they still make those......

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Comes with a set of earplugs.....

11. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

LMAO!

Thanks.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice