M.2 SSD suddenly doesn't show up in BIOS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AnjoV10

Hi all. So I built a gaming PC 4 months ago and its been working perfectly until now. When i turn it on, it suddenly goes into BIOS and doesn't recognize my M.2 drive where Windows 10 is stored. I tried changing the boot configuration, re installing the M.2 but it still doesn't recognize it. I even updated the Bios to the latest (BETA) version.
How can something that was compatible once suddenly lose it's compatibility???

PC specs:
Asus Prime B550M-A WIFI motherboard
Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 SSD
Ryzen 5 3600
Corsair Vengeance 16GB ram
No other storage drives in the PC

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

crjdriver

How can something that was compatible once suddenly lose it's compatibility???
It does not. Have you reseated the M.2? If not, that is the very first thing I would do. In addition, you have two M.2 slots on that board. Try the drive in both slots. If it is still not detected, the drive has failed.

FWIW I have the gen4 version of that drive and it has been flawless for approx 1yr or so.

AnjoV10

It does not. Have you reseated the M.2? If not, that is the very first thing I would do. In addition, you have two M.2 slots on that board. Try the drive in both slots. If it is still not detected, the drive has failed.

FWIW I have the gen4 version of that drive and it has been flawless for approx 1yr or so.
I did try re seating it on both drives. The PC is only 4 months old and I don't even play high intensity games on it either and has very good airflow. 😞How can it fail?

crjdriver

How can it fail?
You asked a question that really does not have a definitive answer. A part can fail any number of ways. If you really, really do not believe your drive failed, simply install it in a bench or test system OR if you have another system with a M.2 slot, install it there. See if the drive will be IDed.

You built your PC right? you are aware that your SSD has a 5 year warranty right?

AnjoV10

You built your PC right? you are aware that your SSD has a 5 year warranty right?
Yes. Im trying to contact Sabrent. Hope i might get a refund instead of a replacement to another Sabrent product thats going to fail.

crjdriver

If you get a replacement, see if they will give you the gen4 version [you would have to pay the difference] I have used the sabrent rocket gen4 in a few builds and it is flawless.
If they just give you a refund, then either samsung or WD black M.2 drives are very good. My test system has a WD black M.2 and it has been running for approx 2yr and this drive gets moved almost constantly testing motherboards, so many installs I cannot remember; it just works.

AnjoV10

If you get a replacement, see if they will give you the gen4 version [you would have to pay the difference] I have used the sabrent rocket gen4 in a few builds and it is flawless.
If they just give you a refund, then either samsung or WD black M.2 drives are very good. My test system has a WD black M.2 and it has been running for approx 2yr and this drive gets moved almost constantly testing motherboards, so many installs I cannot remember; it just works.
If i get a refund I'm thinking of getting a Samsung 870 QVO 1TB sata ssd and a Samsung 980 500GB m.2. Do you think that's a good choice?

crjdriver

Samsung drives are fine. I have had 0 problems with samsungs. Note samsung does have a proprietary driver for their M.2 drives and it does improve performance.

AnjoV10

Samsung drives are fine. I have had 0 problems with samsungs. Note samsung does have a proprietary driver for their M.2 drives and it does improve performance.
Can you please send me an Amazon uk link to the gen4 version of the Sabrent Rocket? I'm getting confused over the 4.0 and gen4. Thank you

crjdriver

I never shop on uk sites. The only thing I could do would be to post the link to the sabrent site however I doubt that would do any good;
Rocket | Sabrent
There is a "Shop now" link for each product so you might be able to find a store.

AnjoV10

I never shop on uk sites. The only thing I could do would be to post the link to the sabrent site however I doubt that would do any good;
Rocket | Sabrent
There is a "Shop now" link for each product so you might be able to find a store.
That would do. Its the Rocket Q4. Thank you

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online