M2 Help....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mattysee88

Hi i am looking for some help with M2 and new to pc building :)

My system so far is

MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60 GHz

kingston preditor hyper 16gbx4

2x samsung ssds (storage)~

and msi gefore graphics

i am looking for an m2_1 to run windows off... but dont understand the bit where it says supports then lists types of processors?? will it work with mine ??

Attachments

Last edited:

crjdriver

That is showing you the speed of the interface; your board supports different M.2 speeds depending on what processor is installed.
The samsung drive should work fine. Note when you install windows, have only the M.2 drive in the system. If you have any other drives, pull the pw connectors from those drives until you finish the install then shutdown and you can reconnect those drives.

There is a type of M2 that can use PCIE 4 for faster read write speeds,PCIE3 is fine for most. You usually want to use the M2 slot closest to the CPU because the other one may be shared with other devices. The 2280 is usually the most comman size in use, I am surprised it will take a M.2-22110, mostly used in servers and such!

crjdriver

BTW you have two M.2 slots on that board. Put the drive in M.2_1 and not the second slot.

Like Crjdriver said use the M.2_1 socket for the M2 closest to the CPU for best performance on the boot drive. The other M2 socket is shared with other PCIE devices and would run slower. You could add another M2 later on for secondary storage.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online