1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

M2N-SLi Deluxe *sigh*

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sryinex, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sryinex

sryinex Thread Starter

Ok, I've been through hell with this motherboard and I'm at a point now where I just have no idea and I've looked for so long to solutions for this and I don't know where to go at the moment so I'll tell my story...

About 5 months ago when the AM2 line was released I bought it right away(mistake I know) I bought these parts...

AMD X2 4200+ AM2
    ASUS M2N-SLi Deluxe
    2GB OCZ Gold DDR2-800 PC6400
    2x 250GB Seagate SATA-II HDD's
    ASUS DVD Burner(not sure of the model)
    Antec True Power 2.0 550w PSU
    2x eVGA 7900GT CO meant to be in SLi

Ok, the initial problems were as such, I'd try to install windows and it would get through the initial part where it said at the bottom, "setup is loading xxx" and then when it got to "setup is loading windows" it would freeze and not go to the next stage, at this point I researched and asked a ton of places what the problem could be, people suggested getting the SATA Drivers for the Hard drive, which I did to no avail same issue I loaded them as said. At this point I shattered my ankle and was rendered immobile for 4 months. 3I then across a person who had this same problem as I had and said it was the conflict of the OCZ RAM with the motherboard so I got the first RMA from OCZ saying this would fix the problem(they sent me 2GB of OCZ platinum) which, when it arrived would not even boot, gave post errors so I call OCZ back a while later saying this and they said they probably gave me the wrong revision or something, so I send it back, they eventually send me another one of the same OCZ platinum ram which does the same exact thing...So I send them more e-mails, more phone calls about what is happening and no response(still after 6 weeks and numerous e-mails and phone calls). So I sold that RAM on ebay out of frustration and searched for a week or so to see what RAM WAS in fact compatible with this motherboard so I finally just broke down and bought 2GB set of Kingston Value RAM which was supposedly work 100% with this motherboard at this point I really didn't care for high performance, just a brand that worked and let me install windows... Here is the RAM...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820134046

So the new RAM comes I pop it in and turn it on and it goes to a screen that says "USB device over current detected!!!" Will shut down in 20seconds or something. I again search forum after forum and site after site about this and they tell me it's the version of BiOS I have(0202) which is old and outdated and they tell me to upgrade to 0702 since it's the one they recommended. So I download the file, do as it says in the manual and go into the BIOS and go to EZ Flash setup but it doesn't recognize anything on the floppy at all, it doesn't give me an option to update or anything.

I have tried booting with 1 stick of RAM, it does the same thing...Also I am only using 1 of the video cards right now.

After all of this when I look into bios right after turning on my computer, it says my cpu temperature is 42* C and motherboard the same, which is hot (I think) then after leaving it on for a little bit(maybe 20 minutes?) the motherboard temp shoots up to 66* C and CPU to around 55* and I have no idea why.

At the time I paid a great deal of money for this (2200$ with monitor). And i've gotten to a point I've given up all hope and everything I read, nothing works and anybody who has any insight as to something that might help me would be greatly appreciated more than you can know. Thank you all for any help.

2. bigbear

bigbear

My first guess is the heatsink are not correctly installed or wrong amount of thermal paste those temps look high to me.
    Also try resetting the cmos.
    BTW which slot do you have the graphics card installed?

3. sryinex

sryinex Thread Starter

I have the graphics card installed in the blue(first) x16 PCI-e slot.

and as far as the heatsink not being correctly installed, I guess it's a possibility but not sure how I could have messed that part up....

4. bigbear

bigbear

Did you fit the stock heatsink? (Sorry I have to ask) did you remove the paper first?
    Amd cpu's are known for running cool, for yours to shoot up with no load implies something is not quite right.
    Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

5. sryinex

sryinex Thread Starter

Yes I removed the paper, and I just tried to reset the CMOS and now my system will not even boot, I followed the instructions exactly from the manual and when I plug my system back in it will not even turn on...

6. bigbear

bigbear

How long did you leave the jumper on pins 2&3? it needs at least 30sec then replace back pins 1&2

7. sryinex

sryinex Thread Starter

manual said 5-10 seconds, so i did that. i'll try 30 now.

edit: that did nothing my computer will still not even turn on...

8. bigbear

bigbear

This is strange, resetting the bios will not stop the pc booting it resets the bios to factory defaults.
    Unless anyone else has a suggestion I would RMA the motherboard.

9. norton850

norton850

What a pain!

sryinex
    Exactly where are things now? What do you mean by "my computer won't even turn on"?

10. sryinex

sryinex Thread Starter

The computer will not power up, when i hit power button, nothing...happens?

Except right when I plug the powercord in, the fan on the cpu gives a little flutter but no typical sounds of a computer turning on, and then nothing happens.

Things are the same as I last explained, I'm waiting for a more definite answer between a few forums as to what might be the cause of all this horror so i can get it fixed once and for all.

11. GripS

GripS

A CMOS clear should not cause this. I would double check your steps. Possibly something shorting out the system? Not likely but there is also the possibility you may have not grounded yourself before touching the motherboard. Steps i use for a CMOS clear:

1. Power down. Unplug power to the tower.
    2. Cycle the power button on the front of the case a couple times.
    3. Pop the case open. Ground myself on the frame of the case.
    4. Move the jumper from 1+2 to 2+3 and leave it there for at least 5 minutes.
    5. Move the jumper back. Plug it in and fire it up.

Power supply appears to be more then adequate. However Antec has dropped the ball in the quality dept a bit so you never know. Even the highest quality power supply manufacturers can have a bad apple here and there.

12. sryinex

sryinex Thread Starter

I've done it 5+ times to no avail, I don't see how me following the instructions exactly 5+ times can cause something like this. Would redoing it leaving the jumper on for 5 minutes rather than the 10-30 seconds like it says really make some kind of difference and make my computer turn on? just seems like a bit of a stretch for something as such.

13. GripS

GripS

In my experience with troubleshooting hardware issues in computers the solution does not always make sense. At this point you really don't have much to lose now anyway.

I have read many a post where a nice long CMOS clear will bring a motherboard back to life. Never experienced this myself first hand though. Normally there will be a small LED somewhere on the motherboard that will light up when it is plugged in to a power source. Is there any indication of power getting to the motherboard?

14. sryinex

sryinex Thread Starter

Yes, the light is indeed on.

15. ndolbee

ndolbee

well well, its not just me with this retarded mobo. hooray.. we can muck with it together.

I just built this thing tonight

PSU: Seasonic S12-430W
    Mobo: M2N-SLI Deluxe
    RAM: Corsair 2x1GB DDR2-800 XMS2-6400
    CPU: OEM AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ (65W)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja SCNJ-1100P

I never got a POST. I never got anything on the monitor. I press the power button, the fan whirrs for about a second (and the LEDs come on) and then everything turns off, like it just died. The green mobo light stays on faithfully. CMOS clears as described above are ineffective..

this is after I've unhooked all components except the CPU/heatsink/mobo/psu.. so I know its none of the other parts.. :(

anyone help? btw this mobo is "Rev. 1.01G" (as found beneath the word "DELUXE" in the center of the mobo).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice