1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

M3A78-EM onboard sound issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rkowatch, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

Okay, well i helped a friend put a pc together because i've done several of them and he's not...

the board for this is M3A78-EM with realtek 8channel onboard sound (ALC1200)

the operating system is xp sp3 (slipstreamed version to save some time)

so after installing the drivers all signs showed they were installed and worked.

however, after he got it home and setup, he found that there was no sound and there was a driver error for the realtek audio driver.

i've given him links to the drivers right off of asus website, both trying it manually and auto installs, once it actually did install it told him to restart but still is not functional, currently i have sent him right to the driver file from the realtek website, but my hopes at this point are low.

i mean... i've had issues with drivers before... but to me these are just overly weird..

any help is extremely appreciated

2. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

Hello,

You mention there is a driver error for the Realtek Audio driver. May you provide me with this error so I may better assess your situation?

3. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

well what i mean by driver error is like... when you go into device manager, it's got the yellow (!) typically the 'incorrect driver' or 'driver not found' error in my past experiences.

:Edit: I just asked him what happened when he right clicked it to properties in device manager and he told me this 'this device cannot start. (Code 10)'

4. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

rkowatch,

What i actually mean is the error Windows is reporting for the device. Sorry for not mentioning this before.

You can obtain this error by double clicking on the device with the yellow (!) next to it, and copy + paste what is written under the 'Device Status' section.

5. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

yes after i posted that i realised what you had meant, and thus the edit :p

but here it is again

this device cannot start. (Code 10)

6. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

You may be able to uninstall and then reinstall the driver for the onboard sound.

First, download your driver from here, or if you already have the driver package, don't worry about downloading it.

Now, uninstall the driver:

1. Click Start and then click Run.
    2. In the box type 'devmgmt.msc' (no quotes) and then click OK.
    3. Expand 'Sound, video and game controllers.'
    4. Double click "Realtek AC'97 Audio."
    5. Click the 'Driver' tab and then click 'Uninstall.'
    6. Follow any prompts, and then restart the computer.
    7. Reinstall the driver.

7. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

yeah told him to try that, gave him directions right as you stated it and still no go... i seriously don't know what the deal is.

8. Inxile

Inxile

i have the same motherboard but a different problem

have you tried installing the Windows XP Microsoft UAA Bus Driver For High Definition Audio

i believe first you must un-install the audio drivers and then first install the MS UAA driver, then reinstall the audio drivers

i think i had to do that for my pc when i was running Win XP x86 and x64

Vista has it already, hope that helps

9. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

Apperantly a windows thing, I've got the same issue with my realtek onboard with the same version operating system, but when i installed ubuntu i had no problem, my friend tried to install ubuntu and same with him... onboard worked, go back to windows, no work... so meh... lol onboard audio is pretty much a fail anyway

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/781077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice