1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

M42 Lense Converter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Lockeyp, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lockeyp

Lockeyp Thread Starter

After watching the video clip on utube about the M42 Lense Converter by Rob Nun. My question is what 35mm lenses can be use. I have a Canon Eos350d as this could potentially save me some SERIOUS MONEY.

All advice would be appreciated

Lockeyp

2. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
  3. wowzer

wowzer

Word to the wise... Spend your money on lenses not gadgets...

Camera bodys and gadgets come and go.. lenses are for a lifetime if chosen wisely.

4. Lockeyp

Lockeyp Thread Starter

Thanks Guyzer. I think that has answered my question.

Lockeyp

5. Lockeyp

Lockeyp Thread Starter

Wowzer. I take your point. But a newby in the world of photography and not having a lot of money this seems to be the cheaper option than to pay alot of money, I know the saying. ' You get what you pay for ' At the moment the best of the older version is better than non of the newer version

Lockeyp

6. wowzer

wowzer

As another thought.. there are many very good old lenses that can be had for reasonably short money if you do a little research.

good luck and have fun... :)

7. antimoth

antimoth

M42 screw mount lenses, sold by Pentax, Sears, Praktika, and others about 30-40 years ago. Plenty still around and most of them are inexpensive. As you said, better than no lens at all. However, the modern lenses have better coatings and optics. You will see tradeoffs with contrast and sharpness and when your budget eventually allows you to buy a stabilized Canon lens, you will never look back.

I own three common M42 Pentax lenses, and have tried them for fun on newer Pentax/Olympus bodies with adapters. They're OK, but the basic zooms that came with these cameras were better. Nonetheless, with care in focusing and exposure, you can still make wonderful pictures with these old lenses. And who knows, maybe you will stumble onto a real find in a rare M42 mount at a garage sale.

I would point out that there are adapters without focus confirmation for less money Even less on Ebay. I don't know Canon, so I don't know if this feature is important.
    http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=16850

I no longer follow this adage if the lenses came with motors and chips. They can die just like any other electronic gear after a while.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice