MA101 Netgear wireless adaptor help!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

djole

My son's computer shows that the signal strength is excellent, but the when I click on Status, it shows 297 send/22 received and he can't get to the internet. We have tried the ipconfig / release and renew. We have tried reinstalling the driver for the MA101 wireless adaptor. We have checked the workgroup name and SSID wireless name. Had this problem on two other pc's on our wireless network, but finally got them going. His computer is Windows XP and I cannot get it to connect. Can someone please help? I did check to see if he recently upgraded Windows XP hotfix that I read about, but he did not. We have to manually set the IP address too. It has been working fine until two days ago. Had to replace the router, but the other computers are now working fine on the network. Thanks.

Installed this unit on a desktop PC with XP SP1. The only way I could make it work was to disable encryption on my access point. I am connecting into a Belkin Acces Point that works very well with my Speedstream NIC's in 2 laptops I have, with encryption ON.They have alot more built into their drivers and utilities than my USB Netgear MA-101. The Netgear utility is missing a Site Survey Tab or someway to Sniff Wireless SSID's. It also has no encryption tab. Thank goodness for XPSP2.I upgraded to Xp SP2 and was able to get this device working with a very low level of encryption.A ten bit string in a manual setting of 64 bit encryption. I am willing to accept that, cause I have at least 2 other Wireless networks around me that are very vunerable without any encryption.So far the USB Netgear MA-101 seems to be working ok....I would not reccomend to anyone to go without encryption though, cause there is to much malacious stuff that can happen over your DSL or Cable Broadband connection that will cause alot of heat to be put on yourself.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online