1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MAC address conflict (wireless) resolved with arp -a

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mr Davo, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Davo

Mr Davo Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I had a very strange issue when setting up a DHCP reservation on my router. Whilst attempting the setup my Windows 7 computer was reporting one MAC address (both under ipconfig & through a program called Change MAC Address) and my router was reporting another (and NO there weren't other wireless devices connected to the router which I was not aware of!).

I Googled the subject, naturally, and didn't come up with much - however by shear luck I did stumble across a solution - this is what I did!

1). Opened a command prompt
    2). Typed "arp -a" (minus the double talking marks) and hit enter
    3). Opened Control Panel --> Network & Sharing Center --> Change Adaptor Settings
    4). Right clicked on Wi-Fi Adapter & selected properties
    5). Double clicked "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"

*** At this point another Properties dialog box opens ***

6). Clicked on OK (didn't change any of the values!)
    7). Clicked on OK (again didn't change any values!)
    8). Ran the "arp -a" command again
    9). Rebooted the Wireless Router & the computer

I did attempt various reboot combinations with the Wireless Router and the laptop before running the "arp -a" command as stated above, however these efforts didn't prove fruitful.

I hope that this helps somebody else out there on the web.

Kind Regards,

Davo

2. BharatNT2IE

BharatNT2IE

Davo,

What kind of router do you have? I think if you do not understand the arp -a command is only for display and cannot be used for configuration.

The arp -a IP address - MAC address binding.

If you have a small scale routers, i do not think you can create and IP address to MAC Address binding on them.

Thanks
    NT2IE

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice