1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MAC address question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Caudex, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Caudex

Caudex Thread Starter

I have some software that will change the MAC address of my Linksys Ethernet card. There is a drop down list where you can select which devices MAC address you want to change. My Ethernet card is in there but, not my RCA cable modem.

My question is, can I be tracked by my cable modems mac address or just my ethernet card MAC address? I read something about the MAC addresses being married, I don't fully understand what that means? Does it mean that my cable modem's MAC address matches my ethernet cards address?

2. hermes

hermes

I assume that married means that the dsl connection from your isp uses your cable modem mac address as your identity on their network.

I have heard of users putting a firewall in front of their modem and having problems because the mac address changed.

Changing the mac address of your pc ethernet should not affect this though.

3. Ddruid

Ddruid

Depends on the modem, but most are bridges. If it is bridging at layer 2, then the ISP is seeing the mac address of the device plugged into the modem.

4. Caudex

Caudex Thread Starter

How can i tell if it is bridging at layer 2? How can i tell if they see my cable modem MAC address or my ethernet card address?

5. Caudex

Caudex Thread Starter

6. pito

pito

Some cable modems do not have MAC address.....(some Terrayon)

7. Caudex

Caudex Thread Starter

is there a way to tell if mine does?

8. pito

pito

not sure, but mine does not..... I was trying to uncap my cable modem and I found that information about terrayon modems

9. SabreWolf3

SabreWolf3

Hi Caudex. To answer your original question; yes, your cable company can see that you have two distinct MAC addresses attached to their server. This is ok though, that's what they expect. The problem comes in if you are trying to hide multiple pc's from them by installing a router (for example). You would want the router to spoof the MAC address of the cable modem, so it would be invisible to the cable company.

Does this answer your questions?

10. Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

Your MAC addy is similiar to a physical stamp, there isn't anyway to change it. You can spoof it (copy) onto a devices that will allow some form of ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) a software solution or more commonly a router. Another problem with that is that if you could "randomly change MACs" then you might accidently use the same MAC as another on your ISPs blade (cable card), which would cause at least one of you (possibly both) to lose service.

My Ethernet card is in there but, not my RCA cable modem.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Most cable companies don't really care what's past their router, Comcast certainly doesn't. I have a router and a bunch of computers and other devices installed, it's never an issue. When you call them for service, they just ask if you have a router. If so, they have you connect directly to a computer so they can troubleshoot the issue.

12. Caudex

Caudex Thread Starter

I was banned from a certain website and I have made a new login but they keep kicking me off even though I have changed IP addresses. I also have a program that deletes cookies right after they are accepted so, I don't think they are tracking me by cookies.

The only thing I can think of is the mac address of my cable modem. If I Buy a router will it prevent this website from being able to see my cable modems MAC address?

Will I be able to change the routers MAC address?

13. Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

The only thing I can think of is the mac address of my cable modem. If I Buy a router will it prevent this website from being able to see my cable modems MAC address

negitive, you won't be able to hook up your router BEFORE you modem. It's possible that the website banned your total IP range. Lot of work to do that. Lotsa of "inocent victims"

Will I be able to change the routers MAC address?

Most routers can clone the MAC of a computer, but you wont have a way to hook the modem before the router

14. Caudex

Caudex Thread Starter

If I buy a new cable modem I will have a new mac address right?

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about just forgetting about that particular site? Will your life really end if you can't access it? :rolleyes:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice