MAC address question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Caudex

I have some software that will change the MAC address of my Linksys Ethernet card. There is a drop down list where you can select which devices MAC address you want to change. My Ethernet card is in there but, not my RCA cable modem.

My question is, can I be tracked by my cable modems mac address or just my ethernet card MAC address? I read something about the MAC addresses being married, I don't fully understand what that means? Does it mean that my cable modem's MAC address matches my ethernet cards address?

I assume that married means that the dsl connection from your isp uses your cable modem mac address as your identity on their network.

I have heard of users putting a firewall in front of their modem and having problems because the mac address changed.

Changing the mac address of your pc ethernet should not affect this though.

Depends on the modem, but most are bridges. If it is bridging at layer 2, then the ISP is seeing the mac address of the device plugged into the modem.

Caudex

How can i tell if it is bridging at layer 2? How can i tell if they see my cable modem MAC address or my ethernet card address?

not sure, but mine does not..... I was trying to uncap my cable modem and I found that information about terrayon modems

Hi Caudex. To answer your original question; yes, your cable company can see that you have two distinct MAC addresses attached to their server. This is ok though, that's what they expect. The problem comes in if you are trying to hide multiple pc's from them by installing a router (for example). You would want the router to spoof the MAC address of the cable modem, so it would be invisible to the cable company.

Does this answer your questions?

Caudex said:
I have some software that will change the MAC address of my Linksys Ethernet card. There is a drop down list where you can select which devices MAC address you want to change.
Your MAC addy is similiar to a physical stamp, there isn't anyway to change it. You can spoof it (copy) onto a devices that will allow some form of ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) a software solution or more commonly a router. Another problem with that is that if you could "randomly change MACs" then you might accidently use the same MAC as another on your ISPs blade (cable card), which would cause at least one of you (possibly both) to lose service.

My Ethernet card is in there but, not my RCA cable modem.

My question is, can I be tracked by my cable modems mac address or just my ethernet card MAC address?
Both, your ISP has a record of all of their modems, and throughthe MX records on the DHCP server, they can see what clientside MAC (your computer) had what IP at what time.

I read something about the MAC addresses being married, I don't fully understand what that means?
Some of the smaller ISPs will bind (married) the MAC address of the computer to the modem (happens a lot with DSL companies to prevent you from using routers and other reasons)

Does it mean that my cable modem's MAC address matches my ethernet cards address?
nope, the modem has it's own MAC, which is usually on the bottom/back. But the modem will sometimes only allow for one MAC to register with it.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Most cable companies don't really care what's past their router, Comcast certainly doesn't. I have a router and a bunch of computers and other devices installed, it's never an issue. When you call them for service, they just ask if you have a router. If so, they have you connect directly to a computer so they can troubleshoot the issue.

Caudex

I was banned from a certain website and I have made a new login but they keep kicking me off even though I have changed IP addresses. I also have a program that deletes cookies right after they are accepted so, I don't think they are tracking me by cookies.

The only thing I can think of is the mac address of my cable modem. If I Buy a router will it prevent this website from being able to see my cable modems MAC address?

Will I be able to change the routers MAC address?

The only thing I can think of is the mac address of my cable modem. If I Buy a router will it prevent this website from being able to see my cable modems MAC address

negitive, you won't be able to hook up your router BEFORE you modem. It's possible that the website banned your total IP range. Lot of work to do that. Lotsa of "inocent victims"

Will I be able to change the routers MAC address?

Most routers can clone the MAC of a computer, but you wont have a way to hook the modem before the router

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
How about just forgetting about that particular site? Will your life really end if you can't access it? :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online