1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MAC and PC's on the same Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by don_1953, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. don_1953

don_1953 Thread Starter

I currently have 4 Windows XP computers (2 wired, 2 wireless) connecting to a NETGEAR WGT624 Router. I have set up WEP security, and after a few fits and starts getting it all set up, it works very well, I can copy files, browse files thru the network and print from any computer to a network printer. I have not had to do a reset on the modem or router in ages, so long ago I can't even remember.
    This past weekend however, I had my sister and her husband come and stay with us for three days, they both have Apple laptops. Within minutes of giving him the 10 digit encription key, NONE of the computers, Windows or Apple, could access the Internet.
    I assumed that Comcast may have been having a service problem, but it seemed ok the following morning after powering everything down, resetting the modem, then restarting everything. Again, within minutes, no one could connect to the Internet, I couldn't even access the router thru the usual 192.168 etc. The Comcast Internet in our neighborhood is extremely reliable, we practically never have a service outage. Throughout all this, the lights on the Comcast modem looked completely normal.

My brother-in-law, (who is a very "Apple is great, PC's suck" sort of guy) immediately assumed my router must be failing, it is several years old now. I simply shut off the PC's for the rest of their stay and they could access the Internet through my router but it did need to be reset again. They left Monday morning, we turned the PC's back on, and are back to normal, all PC's connecting fine.

My question I guess then is this. Is the some compatibility issues when Apple computers and PC's are accessing the Internet through the same router at the same time? I don't have an Apple computer to test with, but I'd like to know if I have something set up wrong on the router itself, or, we the Apple computers causing the connection issues? Do I need a new router if I want to mix Apple and PC's together?

2. oksteve

oksteve

I have a similar problem. My wi fi PC works fine on the Belkin but my wifes wi fi Mac does not,she has to be hard wired to the router.

When I asked about this at the Apple shop they said it was compatibility issues, and that its just some routers work better with mixed machines than others. :(

I tried using mac addresses but that failed and would have been too restrictive anyway.

Now I am hoping she does not want to take her mac to the garden this Summer .....more wiring for me !!! :)

3. don_1953

don_1953 Thread Starter

Do I need a new router if I want to mix Apple and PC's together connecting to a wireless router?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I had not previously heard of this problem, but try the old standby: make sure you have the latest firmware upgrade; then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

Also, unless you have an old device that can't handle it, use WPA-PSK. It usually works better than WEP and is secure when a strong passphrase is used.

5. don_1953

don_1953 Thread Starter

still not solved, now I'm having problems with the wireless and any Windows based computer. I'm going to replace the router, I need a 4 port wired/wireless router working with a Comcast ARRIS TM502G/H modem.
    There is such a variety of routers to choose from, can anybody suggest the best option foe me?

6. oksteve

oksteve

I was advised by the apple store people to buy a router that was specifically designed for the Mac. In that Apple routers are more accommodating toward PCs than PC routers are toward Macs. However the price was a lil high for what they suggested (as are most Apple products IMO) and I wondered if they were just trying to sell me a router and not really concerned about my situation. That could be my comsumer skepticism though. If money is not a concern, buy a super dooper Apple router.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice