1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mac Book Pro A1278

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by yowill, Jun 10, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. yowill

yowill Thread Starter

I have a MacBookPro that cannot get past the Mac OS Utilities mode. Notice the steps I've already taken. See photos

Attached Files:

2. Sponsor

3. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

4. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

Looks like it didn't complete a upgrade or (re)install. The last screen is asking for a restore source (either restore from a copy of the software on your MAC or restore from a Apple server).

I would recommend a clean install from the Apple server. You will need to log into your Apple account (the account the MAC is linked to) to do this.

Were you trying to upgrade to High Sierra or just to the latest version?

5. yowill

yowill Thread Starter

I was trying to upgrade to the latest version.

6. yowill

yowill Thread Starter

This is what I did today. Is the OS X Base System the recovery drive?
    In Disk Utility I only have the options First Aid and Partition when selecting OS X Base System. When I chose Apple HDD SATA Internal Physical Disk I only get the First Aid and the Partition option.

Attached Files:

7. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

Have you booted into recovery mode or tried disk utility through the Utility menu? If you boot into Recovery mode (Turn off your MAC completely. Hold down the command+R keys as you press the power button. Continue holding the command+R keys until you see the Apple logo, then release the keys). This will boot you into Recovery mode. You should then click on Disk Utility mode. Once there, you should see the options for reinstalling the OS.

Incidentally, have you tried the First Aid option?

8. yowill

yowill Thread Starter

I'm having multiple issues with this machine. Now it won't turn on. Should I take out the battery then press down the power button like on Windows machines?

9. yowill

yowill Thread Starter

Forget that, the power cord on this machine garbage. I was able to get it back on. Here are my results. (see pic). This was after following the instructions in this video () It don't seem like this computer has a recovery partition.

Attached Files:

10. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

If you were in the process of doing a clean install, your MAC did not set up the recovery partition. You will probbly have to do a clean install using Apple's servers.

11. yowill

yowill Thread Starter

This is what I have today under OS X base system core storage logical volume Mac OS extended I have the option of first aid partition erase restore and unmount now under the disk images OS X base system I have the options of first aid partition but erase restore and unmount are not available under Apple HDD satta internal physical disk guid partition map I only have first date partition erase restore as available options now which one do I do do I unmount erase or restore I tried restore that didn't work

Attached Files:

12. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

The recovery drive is a hidden partition in your main HDD. In Recovery mode, when you click on Disk Utilities, then First Aid, you will see a list of your HDD. Under the Main HDD, you'll see the Apple partition. Make sure you are highlighting the top HDD. That's the OS X Base system. Any First Aid done on that HDD will automatically fix the Apple partition.

Here's the next thing to try..Turn your MAC off, once completely powered down, press and hold the Command, Option, and R keys and press the power button. When you hear the chime, keep holding the buttons until you see a globe with the message "Starting Internet Recovery". Release the keys. You will probably have to login to your Apple account for verification. That should get you going.

:)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice