1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mac External Microphone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlindOptimism, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlindOptimism

BlindOptimism Thread Starter

Hi there!

I know nothing about sound and mic stuff. I'm learning as I go, so forgive me if all of this is obvious.

I wanted to buy a cheap lavalier microphone for some video recording I need to do. I need it to plug into a source other than my camera, so I assumed my computer (Macbook Pro Early 2008) would be the best choice. I ordered the Trantec LP2 because it was cheap and had a mini-jack that I assumed would plug straight into my computer and work. It does not.

So, having done a little research, I'm guessing that my mic has no pre-amp (or whatever the technical term is) and needs to be powered externally. To solve this, I purchased a very cheap USB bus-powered external sound card, which I assumed would be enough to power the mic. Apparently not.

Can anybody just quickly tell me what I can plug my microphone in to to make it work? I saw an iMic suggested, but I don't want to spend £20 on something I'm not sure will work. It doesn't need to even be a computer add-on...I can use an external audio capturing device (like a dictophone?) if need be, but the only requisit is that I don't want to spend £££'s. I don't particuarly need high-end stuff, I just need something cheap that will read the mic I've already bought.

Or, on the flip side, if anyone knows of any similarly priced mics that would do a better job than my LP2 without addition equipment needed, feel free to suggest them to me, as I'm thinking of just cutting my losses and selling this on ebay.

Thanks for your help. Here are some links for the devices I mentioned:

Trantec LP2

External Soundcard

iMic

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046945