1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mac keeper

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by aslbow, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aslbow

aslbow Thread Starter

HELLO TO ALL,
    I want to pose a question, from which i hope to gather several opinions, about the program called MacKeeper. We have half a dozen desktop Macs running either SnowLeapard or Mountain Lion at our business. I have seen Mackeeper ads and wonder if it's a worthwhile "anti virus, etc.." addition to our fleet of Macs? I have been told by the local "Apple" repair store, (Not an actual Apple outlet), that this is not a good choice at all. So... lets hear it folks, what do you all say? Yay or nay? And why. Thanks in advance. Aslbow.

2. Headrush

Headrush

You will find opinions are divided and heated about MacKeeper.

The problem isn't necessarily the application itself, but the way MacKeeper's developers allow it to be advertised on the Internet. Random pop-ups that have the appearance that many SPAM type applications do also.

When it comes to anti-viral software there are two things I look for (whether PC or Mac):
    1) Virus definitions are updated appropriately
    2) The application is light weight

Using that criteria of the following ones I've tried (Intego, ClamAV, MacKeeper, Sophos), I liked Sophos's best.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice