1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mac Mini not detecting Hard Drive after partition

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by DannyF, Feb 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DannyF

DannyF Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new to here so i'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I was using a Mac Mini(Late 2012) and i'd already had bootcamp on it with Windows 8 and I downloaded the Windows 10 Technical Preview and installed it off Windows 8. I should of made another partition but I didn't think about it at the time. I was on Windows 10 for a few hours and then I went to bed, when I woke up and I turned on my Mac Mini it didn't detect the Hard Drive and it wasn't available in the Disk Utility.

Danny

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The Windows 10 install probably overwrote the EFI boot partition. There may be a better way but all I can think of is reinstalling OS-X then Windows.

3. DannyF

DannyF Thread Starter

I can't re-install OSX because there is no hard drive

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Oh right, so even booting with the DVD the Disk Utility doesn't see the hard drive at all ?

If so you need some of way of wiping the drive so it looks like a new drive. TestDisk booted from a CD could do that, lots of ways to get that here :- http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Livecd

Read this thread, it might help :- http://forums.techguy.org/apple-mac/1143019-imac-wont-start-will-disk.html

EDIT : I think if you can reinstall OS-X to the same partition as before you may be able to preserve the Windows partition and set up the dual-boot again.

5. DannyF

DannyF Thread Starter

6. DannyF

DannyF Thread Starter

Also I don't have a DVD but the hard drive doesn't show up in Disk Utility

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, please read my post #4 again I added some stuff.

How are you running Disk Utility ?

8. DannyF

DannyF Thread Starter

When I boot up and there are no options in the boot menu something pops up saying Internet Recovery I can access Terminal, Disk Utility etc

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I see, it's been a while since I used a Mac.

I think you can install OS-X over the Internet but if Disk Utility can't see the hard drive I don't see how you could do that.

There are probably Terminal commands that would work to set the hard drive up for an install but apart from saying you could search for this online I'm unable to help with that.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge will post.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!