Mac not starting up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Redenator

This is happening on not just 1, but 2 Macs of mine. One of them is far older, running OS Mojave, and the other is relatively new, running OS Catalina. The newer one is the one I use most frequently, whereas the older one I keep spare in case the newer one breaks. I went to use the newer one a few days ago (I believe on the 26th) and I noticed it had turned off. I went to turn it on, and I was greeted with the Apple Logo and the loading bar. The bar took far longer than usual to fill up, and when it reached the end (the bar was 100% white) it just froze, and stayed like that. I left it for an hour or so, nothing changed. Left it unplugged over night, nothing changed. After some searching around online, I tried a few things such as turning on in safe mode, still nothing. I gave up, and broke out the old computer, which I used for a few days, until this morning, when it did a very similar thing. However, instead of loading to full and freezing, it loads to about halfway, then shuts off. I turn it back on, loads to about halfway, then shuts off.

What can I do in order to get these computers to turn on properly??

Apologies in advanced, I don't know the exact models these Macs are, and I would provide any specs possible but I obviously can't turn the computers on to find any of the spec information.

Any help at all using the given information is appreciated, I understand if more information is required, however.

I’m in the same boat as you... everyone wants us to reset the PRAM and SMC...
Which if you’re like me, have done multiple times. It still shuts off and cant get into safe mode or anything...
Following yours in case someone give a good clue to it. Mine hasn’t gotten any responses.

I’m in the same boat as you... everyone wants us to reset the PRAM and SMC...
Which if you’re like me, have done multiple times. It still shuts off and cant get into safe mode or anything...
Following yours in case someone give a good clue to it. Mine hasn’t gotten any responses.
Have you tried booting into recovery?

I can barely get it to turn on. I can walk away and 10 min later it goes into an endless cycle of starting up and shutting off. rarely will it start up right when I hit the power button. I’ve reset the SMC multiple times. I can’t get it to power on long enough to reset the pram.
sometimes the HD’s and the optical drive will spin up and then shut off, then immediate start back up and this time will chime. Then shut off to restart and go to load screen. But that’s as far as it gets.
It may do 6-10 restarts then go dead.

then it’s next to impossible to get it to power up again.
Never seen or heard of anything like this. So I’m thinking it’s a hardware issue of some sort. I have replaced the Power supply and get 1 green led

I can barely get it to turn on. I can walk away and 10 min later it goes into an endless cycle of starting up and shutting off. rarely will it start up right when I hit the power button. I’ve reset the SMC multiple times. I can’t get it to power on long enough to reset the pram.
sometimes the HD’s and the optical drive will spin up and then shut off, then immediate start back up and this time will chime. Then shut off to restart and go to load screen. But that’s as far as it gets.
It may do 6-10 restarts then go dead.

then it’s next to impossible to get it to power up again.
Never seen or heard of anything like this. So I’m thinking it’s a hardware issue of some sort. I have replaced the Power supply and get 1 green led
See if anything here can help:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204267

I would say heat except if that was the case, when you first start it up it would immediately power on, and go until it heats up then kick off. That is not the issue here.

Hey Redenator,

I suggest you to do SMC reset once-

• Unplug the power, then shut down your Mac.
• Hold the left Shift + Control + Option keys down
• Press and hold the power button down. Keep all four buttons pressed down for ten seconds, then let go.
• Plug the power cable back in, then turn on your Mac.

If still your Mac freeze then contact to the apple service.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online