1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mac not using all of the RAM

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by DanRJFrost, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanRJFrost

DanRJFrost Thread Starter

Hi,

I've recently upgraded the RAM in my iMac from 4GB to 12GB as it was running a little slow, I have found this has made no difference and at times seems even slower.

I was doing some work with video files and was converting a video using MPEG Streamclip and so this would be quite a memory intensive task. As it was progressing very slowly I checked my Activity Monitor and it was only using 4.49GB of the memory and of that only 97MB seemed to be dedicated to the MPEG Streamclip task.

Does anyone know why the system isn't using the rest of the RAM that is installed?

The highest usage process is 'kernal_task' with 838.9MB but I don't know what that is, There are a lot of items in the process list but I don't know how to remove them or even if I can or should remove them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dan

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Hello a computer will only use as much ram as it has to at any given time, so yours is not an issue with the ram; video processing is actually a CPU intensive activity, while rendering depends on a good dedicated video adapter, I don't know if your iMac has one, if not, that would not be a good thing, also unless your iMac is packing a good core i7, running around 3Ghz, you can forget about performance.
    Meanwhile, use the Disk Utility and check the permissions on the disk, those are known to hamper performance a whole lot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice