1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mac not workinbg through router

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by syndicalist, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syndicalist

syndicalist Thread Starter

I have three computers connected through router. Two are OK but the Mac just packed up. I have restarted, turned router off and on again and tried to type in http://192.168.0.1 but no connection to router. I am unfortunately computer illiterate and do not understand the technical language.
    Can you give me any advice in simple language please.

Thanks

2. Headrush

Headrush

For starters we need more information.

1) What Mac do you have? (Go to Apple Menu -> About this Mac)
    2) Have you selected Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> Network?

3) Once yes to 2, is there an entry called "Airport" listed on the left?
    4) Clicking that Airport entry, what options are then show on the right side of dialog box?

3. syndicalist

Mac 10.4.11
    Yes
    Shows only a message'Network settings have been changed by another application'
    and on Network page
    1. Built in ethernet set to use PPPOE. Cable not plugged in.
    2. Speed Touch configured but not connected.

The other two computers work OK and when I try a connection the light for the Mac comes on.

Thanks for the simple instructions and I hope we can go further.

4. Headrush

Headrush

Is this router also a DSL modem and supplied by your ISP?

Changes are that what you want is to set that Ethernet option in Network to Configure IPv4: Using DHCP

PPPoE is a connection method used to connect to many DSL service providers. The Mac can do this configuring, but usually the router has to be in something called bridge mode. That your other machines are working indicates this is not the case and the modem is handling the PPPoE connection.

Try that and let me know if it helps.

5. syndicalist

When I go to Network Settings I get drop down message ' Your Network Settings have been changed by another application.'. I now get Configure IPv4: with option of 1. Using PPP or 2. Manually but continually interrupted by the drop down Your Network etc before I can go any further.

The router was bought separate and is Netgear ADSL Modem Wireless RouterDG834PN.

Thanks for your help but no progress so far. Any hope you can take me further?

6. Headrush

Headrush

Have ever installed some PPPoE software before?

If you use System Profiler in /Applications/Utilities/ you can see all the Applications/Extensions installed.

Obviously something is installed that is messing with your network connection as you should most definitely have that DHCP option.

7. Headrush

Headrush

My guess is that at one time you had the Modem attached to the Mac using a USB cable?

Sounds like there is still Speed Touch software that needs to be uninstalled.

8. syndicalist

Yes I did have a modem attached before I got the router. I followed your route to Applications Utilities but could not see Speed Touch . Any other name I shouldlook got.

Thanks

9. Headrush

Headrush

The application may be gone but there could be extensions etc left. When you run that System Profiler it will show all extensions installed.

Do you still have the CD that came with the modem? Should/Might be an uninstaller on there. If not, might have to re-download the speedtouch driver online, but just use the uninstaller with it.

10. syndicalist

Thansks for your help. Finally got it working through someone sending me a pictorial step by step guide. In short I had to uncheck PPoE . Go to TCP/iP and click on Using DHCP.
    I dont understand what it all means but the computer was working instantly.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!