1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mac on Wondows machine?

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by docmcr, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. docmcr

docmcr Thread Starter

Ok, I am confused, a little. I have been told and have read on this group that I can install Winmdows on a Mac machine. but my question now is can I install Mac OS on my windows computer? I have set it up with NTFS, unfortunately even if I reformat my 160 GB HD and partition it will Mac OS work?

2. ferrija1

ferrija1

No, not to mention it being illegal on multiple accounts.

3. docmcr

docmcr Thread Starter

Why illegal?
    I have a generic clone desk top computer that I had built to my specs. I paid for the machine in cash as well as the complete install version of Windows XP Pro. I own the license and licensed copy of the Windows XP Pro. I admit that I didn't read all of the fine print of the license, but who does????
    If I decide to eliminate my Windows XP, say buy a new HD, couldn't I also purchase the complete install version of the Apple OS and install it on the machine and run Apple instead of Windows? Do I have to purchase a new Apple computer?

4. kayote

kayote

I believe that OS X's license says it can only be run on Apple hardware.

But beyond that, I don't think you can install OS X on anything but Apple hardware. I don't think it works.

5. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

It is possible, and against Apple's EULA.

What Apple doesn't want you to know is that their is nothing special about their hardware, they just match the OS to batches. Serial starting with xxxxxxxx--------- is a valid drive etc.

There are hacks out there to run Mac OS on a regular PC, but it is not technically legal. Not to mention you will get 0 tech support from Apple shoudl there be issues.

6. namenotfound

namenotfound

There is no such things as a "windows computer" or "windows machine". Windows is just the software, the operating system.

Computer is hardware ;)

7. ferrija1

ferrija1

Does it really matter?

8. namenotfound

namenotfound

Yes!

Everyone on this site uses the wrong terminology, it drives me crazy. :(

Just looking through the forums, you can see at least 5 new posts per day with the wrong words in it.

9. ferrija1

ferrija1

We're not the only ones doing it... :rolleyes:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q="windows+computer"&btnG=Search

You fighting billions of people, just let people call it what they want. People say the nonsensical phrase "I could care less' while it should truly be 'I could not care less," but who goes around correcting people and making sure everything is right? Windows machine/computer is a popular term already, can you please stop playing terminology police?

10. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin

When I refer to a "Windows machine" It's shorthand for "a machine running Windows Software" ... it's just quicker/easier to type the former.

11. ferrija1

ferrija1

Exactly. ;)

12. Clintonio

Clintonio

I could care less is an Americanism. Us Brits do say "I couldn't care less", and thus I make sure to correct people ;)
    Sorry, I'm being pedantic.

Like said above, if you're willing to break the law and lose support for your OS, go ahead and install Mac on a normal machine. I'm all in favour of it. I may even have to try it one day. I refuse to purchase any Apple Hardware just for a single damned OS.

13. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin

[Off Topic_Pandora's Box] Thanks for clarifying that clintonio .... we Aussies say the same [/Topic_Box]

14. VegasACF

VegasACF

I'd say it's less an Americanism, and more a person not understanding what s/he is saying. There are those of us, who are Americans, who care enough to be precise about the turns of phrase we use, be they spoken or written.

The above "phrase" is one of my pet peeves. If one could care less, then apparently s/he cares at least a little. More often than not, this is not the message that is intended to be conveyed.

Another of my pet peeves is when a person says, "heighth." No such word. This same person, mind you, would never say something concerning "weighth."

Sadly, people are no longer corrected when they use the language incorrectly. I could care less.

Yes. That was intentional. I could care less. But I don't. I do care, and I find trends such as these abhorrent.

Sorry for the detour. Someone seems to have hit a nerve. ;) For what it's worth, I'm also one who uses italics and underlines and bold print to convey emphasis in my posts, so as to remove any doubt as to where the inflection I intend is to fall. Some find that annoying. I find it quite useful.

15. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Why would you want to run OS X on this computer?

Peace...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!