1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mac or PC?...

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by jawsfan, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jawsfan

jawsfan Thread Starter

In general which is best?
    ...or does it depend on what you are using a computer for?...for instance my friend is thinking of getting a Mac as he has heard they are better for audio production...is this true?
    Are Macs quicker and more stable than a PC?...Would like some feedback from Mac users on this if possible.

Many thanks from Colin. :)

2. Zeragrin

Zeragrin

Well i do not use a mac, but i have been a PC user since i was 3 years old. Macs as my understanding are better for video and quite possibly audio production, however saying which one is better is really preference, i am a avid PC lover, Linux is my OS of choice although i do still use Windows, i would say if he doesnt even have a computer, get a PC running Linux first. :rolleyes:

3. jawsfan

jawsfan Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Zeragrin...appreciated Colin :)

4. emoxley

emoxley

I've always preferred a mac. But, I'm not an OSX lover. What little bit I've worked with OSX, I found it hard to get around in, harder to find things and just acts completely different from earlier OS'. Why would they go and ruin a good thing? Macs have ALWAYS been more user friendly, until OSX. Most graphic artists use macs. Most sound and recording studios use macs. I'll bet that they are still working with OS9 though. Just read an article about a guy's company, that restores older movies, for dvds. He has 600 Macintosh G5's, to do the work on.
    I recently bought a custom built pc, with windows XP Home Ed. on it. It's ok. I like it better than OSX. I bought it for the games and internet. Many more games for pc, and a lot on the internet is pc only.
    They both (mac & pc) have their places. There's not AS BIG of a worry about virus' on a mac. I've had macs for 10 years, and have never had a virus. We have 2 macs now, and the 1 pc.

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

OSX was a paradgim shift for mac. I dont know, but i really like OSX. It combines the two of my favorite operating systems (BSD + MacOS).

Operating systems are completly a matter of preferance. Go try out the ones you are thinking of.

6. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

First post here, and I'm going to say that as Whiteskin mentions -> try 'em both, get a good feel for them, look at the Apple.com site, read some Apple/Mac web forums & magazines, talk to others at Apple store, etc. Myself, I love Mac's - but, do not have one as of yet myself; that will be cured in mid-July after the next upgrade is rumoured to be made on the processor... I have wintels at home, at work, and on the road; why? mainly due to that is the only version that our tech support at work will support... Mac's are inherently "more stable", due to both their OS and to the fact that most if not all peripherals that attach to an Apple must be approved by Apple; versus any Tom, Dick, and Harry can add whatever that they so desire to any PC...

As earlier poster mentioned, there are more games, software, etc. for Wintels; but! there are ways around that -> Virtual PC, etc. can be used to "act" as a windows OS on an Apple; except if using the new G5's [its architecture will not support this software as of yet... MS, who now owns Virt PC, is probably not in any big hurry to make it so either... :( ].

In any case, I fell in love w/ Macs years ago, and am a big supporter of them, yet have not pulled the trigger to actually get one... silly, I know. But, in any case, they are "friendlier", "easier", and "faster" - > depending on the application.

The eMac, G4's, and the iMac are also so much cooler to look at then the grey/black Wintel boxes... :) In addition, while the price may seem steeper, that is most likely only initially -> if do actual comparison of what you are paying for a PC similarly configured as the Apple, and also add in the built-in software from Apple [which is really a good deal in itself], you may find that the price is really not that different - and then add in the more likely friendlier, more robust Mac OS. Not to mention that as a new Apple owner, you have just joined a very fanatical, loyal, and warm-feeling group... you will NOT get that same feeling w/ a Wintel box... :cool:

One last thing, go to apple.com, and check out their switch page... that may help too.

Good luck!

7. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

MacOS zealots are much like linux zealots. Getting much closer too, now that osx has an X11 server, + a stable unix base. (plus all our favorite devlopment tools)

8. Zeragrin

Zeragrin

go linux!

9. enathan1085

enathan1085

i've been a mac lover since back in the day of the Apple IIe. I have used both Windows machines and Macs and have found that the macintosh is just easier to use for me. If your friend is an avid gamer then he might want to look at the windows boxes b/c even though there are an amazing selection of macintosh games out there they usually come out later and in lesser quantities then the windows version. that said, i love OS X. i have yet to come up against the "hard to get around" aspects of it. the stability and ease of use are what i love. and i intend to put a linux OS on my old pentium II just to mess around with it until i can finally open that X11 terminal and TAKE OVER THE WORLD......or just tweak my powerbook to perfection :D

10. dude189

dude189

11. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Audio... definately a Mac here. Atleast, for bang/buck factor. A base mac is easily turned into a schweet audio setup. A PC can take upgrades galore + Hyper expensive software.

12. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

For audio, graphics and video production (except 3D), Mac is the best.

For everything else PC is best. My biggest beef with Apple is that it isn't open agriculture :(

13. aolsux

aolsux Banned

it greatly depends on what you plan to use your computer for since Macs are well known for their media abilities and PCs are well known for their overall compatibility, so if you plan to edit photos, make movies, etc then get a mac, if you plan to just play games and surf the web and type up documents then get a pc

14. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

Curious to think about one other aspect... what would happen to this forum (and others similar to it...) if PC's where made to the same "more better" standard as Apple's... ;)

Seriously, even for just surfing the net, playing games, and/or basic MS Office stuff, macs are great for that too. True, not as many games for the mac as there is for PC's, but might check to see what games currently interested in now and in future to see if they are available. :cool:

I'm currently in process of helping in-laws get a new computer, and yes, it will be an Apple. {even tho' there will be noone besides myself [who is ~3 states away from them] who is for & familiar w/ mac's}. Most likely will be the eMac, upgraded version. :)

If near a CompUSA, most if not all of them are also selling Apples. But, sorry, they have no bananas... :p

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice