1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mac OS 8.6

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by LynnRoomate, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LynnRoomate

LynnRoomate Thread Starter

I was working along nicely on my Mac when it began freezing. Then it progressed to "booting, but not quite all the way" before it froze. Now it won't boot at all - the buttons are lighted, and I hear whirring and clicking, but the screen remains gray. I do not have any software CD's (lost them in the divorce). I do not have a CD burner to back up before I try something radical. I do not have a disk drive (lost that in the divorce, too). I love my Mac, and the local repair dudes make fun of me when I come in with it, so that is not an option. I've unplugged and replugged multiple times. Turned it on without extensions. It just gets worse. Any suggestions (other than jumping out the window)? TIA.

2. zoombini

zoombini

From ur description it sounds like the HD has gone. Clicking/whirring on a old Imac is never a good sign.

Can u not get a OS.8.6 software restore CD from somewhere? Possibly u might get a cheap one on ebay.... If so u can boot from CD to save ur files on the HD.

3. emoxley

emoxley

Replacing the battery has fixed similar problems in the past, for some people. Not saying this will fix your's, but it wouldn't hurt to try it. I think they run about $15 at Radio Shack. Chances are, RS will have to order it. You'll need to take the old one in, so they can get the number off it. It should be on the motherboard.
    Good luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice