1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mac OS X 10.2.8 problem

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by speedo72, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. speedo72

speedo72 Thread Starter

After updating via the software update to Quicktime 6.2 and iTunes 4.2 I restarted the mac (as directed). It looked like it was starting up as normal but when it reached the desktop stage my icons were missing (namely my the hard disk icon) the dock was showing but the minute I clicked on an application or the finder for instance, it just froze. I restarted many times but the same thing has happened. I looked on some forums and was advised to start in safe mode. I did this but all I get is a blue screen and a spinning beach ball (I waited hours just to make sure I wasn't being impatient).

People have talked about reparing the permissions and I am not sure if this will help. My problem is that I can't do anything with the mac. I was running 10.2.8 and have a 700mghz 256MB ram iMac. I originally had mac os 9.2.2 but upgraded via disk to the first version of OX S. I therefore do not have a copy of 10.2 on disk. The last thing I am worried about is if I have to do a clean install with the early version

1) will it work
    2) will it erase all my work/documents

if anyone can give me some help on this I would be most grateful.

2. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

All else fails, zap the PRAM. Hold down Control-Command-P-R at the same time as the machine starts up. Hold these keys down through the third time that you hear the startup chimes then release.

I don't know that it will help but it's worth trying and won't hurt.

3. toeknee

toeknee

did you get this resolved yet?

4. mbechard

mbechard

Can you boot with extensions off, holding down the shift key?

If it were me, I would boot from the OS 10.2.3 disc, and reinstall. I have seen weirdness like that. When you reinstall, you want to archive and keep your home folders.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!