1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mac OS X G4 - Reformat?

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Titus333, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Titus333

Titus333 Thread Starter

I've never worked on a Mac before.

I've been building my own PCs for 8 years now.

A gf of mine has a Mac OS X G4 that she says is being really slow and wants to know I can reformat it like I've done with the Win based laptop.

Is this possible with Max OSX systems or is it completely different then a Windows based system?

2. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin

You will either need the original Software discs that came with the G4 or a set of Full Retail Software discs to achieve this.

You can either perform a clean installation or an Archive and Install. What version of Mac OS is currently installed?

3. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Has she done any investigation to see if reformatting is even necessary?

Peace...

4. Titus333

Titus333 Thread Starter

It's version 10.3.?

5. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

10.3.x is an older version of OS X. 10.4.x is the "Tiger" release series and 10.5 is the "Leopard" release series, which is the current release series of OS X.

Peace...

6. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin

Just place the appropriate Panther disc (see my previous post) in the drive and start up the Mac holding down the "C" key after you hear the startup chime.

The Mac will boot from the disc drive and you will be presented with the options to Erase & Install, Archive & Install OR Custom Install etc.

You can even totally wipe the HD and start fresh but all your friends files/data/apps will be gone.

Linky

Another linky

Yet another linky

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice