Mac & PC external hard drive nightmare

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

elfkin

Hi,

I have an external hard drive that was formatted to NTFS, however I wanted to make this editable on my Mac so partitioned and re-formatted it. I have made the edits an dnow want to go back to using this on My PC...however now my PC does not even register the hard drive when it is plugged in.

I have checked the HD is not broken as my mac still picks it up and it is working fine on there.

Any ideas?

What format did you make the partitions, HFS+?

If so WIndows can't read those without the additional of a program called MacDrive which costs $$$.

To be usable in both Windows and OS X you can format as Fat32. The problem is Fat32 has its own limitations like partition size, file sizes etc.

You can use NTFS and then install MacFuse and NTFS-3g in OS X. Both are free and will give you write support for NTFS partitions in OS X.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online