1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mac + PC networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TimWilliams, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TimWilliams

TimWilliams Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Mac Mini hooked up to ethernet using a wired connection.
    The Mac is connected to a router, which is connected to another router, which is connected to another router which has a DSL connection hooked up to it...
    I'm trying to get internet access to my mac mini, but mainly i am trying to hook up my mac mini with my PC.
    The Pc i'm trying to connect it to is connected to the same router, and it is able to communicate with the other PCs on the network perfectly and recieve internet...
    This is my first Mac, and the only Mac on the network. In the System preferences>network section i have disabled all the connections apart from the wired ethernet connection. It tells me in the network menu that the mac mini is connected to the network and that it is recieving internet, although i cannot communicate with any of the other PCs and i cannot connect to the internet on it.

I have also tried:
    Countless complete network restarts and comupter restarts
    Upgrading to version 10.4.3 (via a cd created on my pc)
    Go>Connect to server> smb:// + the ip address of the computer i want to connect it with...
    Creating countless new locations
    Playing around with all the settings i could find...

This has been troubling me for some time now, any help is greatly appreciated...

Anything else you need to know?
    The router connecting my PC with my Mac Mini is Netgear EN104 TP
    The second router is hidden away so I can't get the model name right now...
    The third router is Zoom ADSL X5 Modem
    Im running OS X 10.4.3
    All my PCs are windows XP and all of the PCs work fine on the network...

Please post to tell me if you need any more details..

Thanks

Tim Williams

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What in the world are you doing with all the routers? That's such a convoluted mess that I'd start by cleaning up the configuration, I suspect the rest of the problems will evaporate after that.

3. TimWilliams

I kinda need them - 8 computers all over the place...

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You only need one router. I have computers and other IP connected stuff all over this place. I have one router that handles all of it. All you need for the rest are plain Ethernet switches.

FWIW, the Netgear EN104 is a hub, not a router.

What you really need to do is to perhaps draw a diagram of what you have connected, and supply make/model numbers of the various components. We could probably figure out what's going on then...

5. TimWilliams

I don't think that is the problem because my PC works fine, and my PC and Mac are both on this hub...i only really need it to be connected to this PC anyway...

I forgot to post, when i try and connect to server, it gives me this error message: It gives me this message:

The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb//TIMSLAPTOP/SharedDocs" could not be read or written (Error code -36)

6. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

You need to be running samba on the mac. That should take care of the windows interface.

try running the command smbstatus from a shell window and see what it says.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice