Mac Pro sierra install fail time machine psswrd wont unlock

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

str1234

MBP 2013 500gb 8gbramm.

Few months ago had kernel panic error stalling startup, it sat for a while until I attempted and was able to reinstall os few weeks ago. Then few days ago had issues with accessing mail and deleting/couldn't trash anything, 'error - 69845'. Thought update to sierra from capitan os might fix.

Install failed (after several hours). Redirected to disk utility. If restart not in recovery mode, startup goes back to normal login but continues sierra installer, only to fail. Disk space low on HD: reason for failed install? ~498 of 500gb used, could've sworn there was more?!.

Running disk utility window in recovery mode, HD shows up in time machine option, but never again unless I shutdown and start over in r mode. (Reset Pvrm? Read permissions not needed from capitan on..?)

When I select my HD in time machine option, next window asks for pass (same pass still works at normal login), I enter password, wait a moment, window shakes nothing happens.

Cannot burn or mount HD in disk utility window: when source is HD and I drag USB drive to destination, prompted 'are you sure you want to erase USB and copy contents of HD to USB' hit erase, it runs then says 'could not validate source - error 254'

After shutdown and run disk utility window in r mode partitioning option is there for HD, but not after quit and return.

In terminal attempted running diskutil and tmutil or other options but get 'sudo command not found' from bash 3.2 shell.

Can't seem to establish correct path, if that's at all related/possible/necessary..? Maybe pkgs and or paths changed/gone due install process/failure? Also can't seem to pull manual list. Diskutil man. I'm a raw noob at this but have had very minor success in terminal on a few past occasions so thought these could be options? Checked what I could piece together cross net. Although a lot of related information and problems/resolutions, there's nothing greatly specific to capitan os terminal or my issue (partly because I don't really know what my issue is) so everything I've tried has not worked, particularly because examples/resolutions given require sudo and I can't use 'sudo'. *I have internet connection on this MBP, went through Internet recovery* I've accessed store through terminal before, can't do that now.

HD verified ok in disk utility window and diskutil command. Verify ok means anything? But repair in utility window gives error 'partition map failed while adjusting structures to fit current whole disk size'

Have not said yes to repair from diskutil terminal but option is given after entering diskutil repairdisk disk1. *update-tried again as typing this: diskutil repairdisk disk1 : 'unable to repair this whole disk: the target disk is too small for this operation (-69771)' also shows disk1 as only 1.3gb and disk14 as 498gb*?? [see pics] Yesterday [did not take picture of] it listed disk1 as 498gb, no disk14. Disk13 is/was USB. Diskutil list does list apple boot recovery HD and other ID's as expected (*previously, unless mounting has changed somehow today)?

Visited Apple Store: told HD corrupted, data gone, buy new one.. no other info given after I asked "really?" but an I just told you, I ran disk util and it's bad.. questions not taken while in god mode I guess.

I'd like to save HD data if possible? Can I burn image or compress HD onto USB drive 64gb? As mentioned not working in disk utility window, but is it possible to run these processes in terminal? Do I need to buy new HD, replace current? Is erasing my current HD and starting over an option? Is it really "corrupted"? Long winded but just wanted to be detailed...

Attachments

Yes it appears your HD is shot. So I'll ask you this.. Do you have a Time Machine or other backup?

MBP 2013 500gb 8gbramm.

Few months ago had kernel panic error stalling startup, it sat for a while until I attempted and was able to reinstall os few weeks ago. Then few days ago had issues with accessing mail and deleting/couldn't trash anything, 'error - 69845'. Thought update to sierra from capitan os might fix.

Install failed (after several hours). Redirected to disk utility. If restart not in recovery mode, startup goes back to normal login but continues sierra installer, only to fail. Disk space low on HD: reason for failed install? ~498 of 500gb used, could've sworn there was more?!.

Running disk utility window in recovery mode, HD shows up in time machine option, but never again unless I shutdown and start over in r mode. (Reset Pvrm? Read permissions not needed from capitan on..?)

When I select my HD in time machine option, next window asks for pass (same pass still works at normal login), I enter password, wait a moment, window shakes nothing happens.

Cannot burn or mount HD in disk utility window: when source is HD and I drag USB drive to destination, prompted 'are you sure you want to erase USB and copy contents of HD to USB' hit erase, it runs then says 'could not validate source - error 254'

After shutdown and run disk utility window in r mode partitioning option is there for HD, but not after quit and return.

In terminal attempted running diskutil and tmutil or other options but get 'sudo command not found' from bash 3.2 shell.

Can't seem to establish correct path, if that's at all related/possible/necessary..? Maybe pkgs and or paths changed/gone due install process/failure? Also can't seem to pull manual list. Diskutil man. I'm a raw noob at this but have had very minor success in terminal on a few past occasions so thought these could be options? Checked what I could piece together cross net. Although a lot of related information and problems/resolutions, there's nothing greatly specific to capitan os terminal or my issue (partly because I don't really know what my issue is) so everything I've tried has not worked, particularly because examples/resolutions given require sudo and I can't use 'sudo'. *I have internet connection on this MBP, went through Internet recovery* I've accessed store through terminal before, can't do that now.

HD verified ok in disk utility window and diskutil command. Verify ok means anything? But repair in utility window gives error 'partition map failed while adjusting structures to fit current whole disk size'

Have not said yes to repair from diskutil terminal but option is given after entering diskutil repairdisk disk1. *update-tried again as typing this: diskutil repairdisk disk1 : 'unable to repair this whole disk: the target disk is too small for this operation (-69771)' also shows disk1 as only 1.3gb and disk14 as 498gb*?? [see pics] Yesterday [did not take picture of] it listed disk1 as 498gb, no disk14. Disk13 is/was USB. Diskutil list does list apple boot recovery HD and other ID's as expected (*previously, unless mounting has changed somehow today)?

Visited Apple Store: told HD corrupted, data gone, buy new one.. no other info given after I asked "really?" but an I just told you, I ran disk util and it's bad.. questions not taken while in god mode I guess.

I'd like to save HD data if possible? Can I burn image or compress HD onto USB drive 64gb? As mentioned not working in disk utility window, but is it possible to run these processes in terminal? Do I need to buy new HD, replace current? Is erasing my current HD and starting over an option? Is it really "corrupted"? Long winded but just wanted to be detailed...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online