mac security question-pls help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

waterborne

i read that apple says it overwrites data sent to the trash bin. is the data overwrited once ? if this is the case are there any recomended progs for shredding files using at the very min. the DoD standard

waterborne said:
i read that apple says it overwrites data sent to the trash bin. is the data overwrited once ? if this is the case are there any recomended progs for shredding files using at the very min. the DoD standard

Standard trash is usually recoverable, but if you use Secure Empty Trash, it is reported to be DoD 7 level erasing.

I use a 3rd party myself, just to be sure. Intego makes a several good products among which is File Guard, which includes a secure shredding utility.
They are a bit pricey, but they work well. I use their Virus software as well and the firewall suite. I have never had a problem yet. < knocking on my antique....that's really old and crappy..... wooden desk. >

John

waterborne

how do you turn on secure trash or do secure empty trash? do i need to download something for that? i will definitely check out intego. can you tell me any specifics on the shredder included with fileguard? anything better than the DoD? thanks a lot !

In OS X, in the menu bar, under "Finder" (the first menu option after the Apple menu):

Finder/Secure Empty Trash

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online