1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mac to PC Conversion

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by campsb, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. campsb

campsb Thread Starter

I have a document that was created on a Mac and I would like to access it from MS Word. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can convert it?

Many Thanks!:)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tried opening it in MS Word? In Word go to File -> and select All FileTypes and try opening the file. Open Word can open a wide variety of document types, for that matter MS Word is available for MAC's as well. What format is the file?

3. campsb

campsb Thread Starter

Yes, I've tried that but no luck. It's an appleworks file, cwk file extension.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You'll likely have to convert the file before sending it to the PC, unless you have FileMakerPro on the Windows PC. But you might be able to convert the file to another format on the MAC, like to an Rich Text File(RTF), which Word and maybe other programs can open.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

6. Knotbored

Knotbored

Copy and paste it to an email to yourself.
    Copy and paste that email into a blank WORD document. You might lose the formating, but thats likely anyway.

7. JohnWill

Suppose that he has 500 of them? :confused: Besides, why not use the converter that you can get free from Microsoft?

8. Knotbored

Knotbored

He doesn't have 500, he says he has one.
    Why download and install something he will seldom use when an instant fix is available with no software?

9. JohnWill

Because it's not an "instant fix", he then has to restore all the formatting of the document! If it was simply a text document with no formatting, we wouldn't be having this discussion. :rolleyes: Also, just because one is mentioned, it doesn't mean more won't be coming down the pike. Why not have a permanent solution that will be painless to use in the future?

10. campsb

campsb Thread Starter

I appreciate all the responses so far, but the situation is that I don't have access to the MAC, just the file & the PC. So I need a solution that I can use from the PC side. And yes I'd like it available for future use.

Thanks!:)

11. JohnWill

Did you check the reference I provided? I believe it addresses your situation.

Converts AppleWorks 5/6/6 Japanese Word Processing files to Word format. With this converter installed, users can open and edit AppleWorks 5/6/6 Japanese files in Word X. This converter can be used only to open an AppleWorks file. Users cannot save files in AppleWorks format.

I must admit, I'm not sure why they mention Japanese in this context. :)

12. campsb

campsb Thread Starter

Yes, I did, but it appeared to be Word for Mac and I need AppleWorks to Word for PC.

Maybe I'm missing something.

13. JohnWill

Maybe I'm the one missing something! :D

14. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) You might want to try THIS. There is a free download that you can try for five days to see if it is what you need.

15. JohnWill

Hmm... That's a whole disk mounting application, not a conversion application. After sticking my foot in my mouth with the Word plug-in, I did some looking. I didn't find anything that would convert an AppleWorks fine to anything that ran under Windows.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/526788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice