Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac Won't Accept WEP Key

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I recently changed ISPs and added a Netgear wireless router to the modem. I configured the modem and router useing my PC laptop, and generated a WEP Key with 64-bit encryption. I was able to successfully connect with my WEP Key on my PC and on my TiVo, but my Mac (which is a new MacBook) will not accept my WEP Key, saying there is an error in joining the network.

The dropdown menu in the AirPort window has four choices: (1) WEP Password, (2) WEP 40/128-bit hex, (3) WEP 40/128-bit ASCII and (4) LEAP. I'm assuming that since my WEP key is set to 64-bit encryption, that I should use the first option, which is what I have been trying.

I was able to connect my MacBook to my old wirelss signal, which I have not disconnected it (it's cable-based and runs from a different modem/router; my new ISP is DSL-based), and that signal also has a WEP Key with 64-bit encryption.

I also tried disabling the WEP key encryption for a time, and then I was able to secure a connection to the new signal, but I want to maintain the encryption. Please help.

#3 ·
try putting the $ symbol before the wep key in the airport utillity.

#4 ·
Thank you for your responses. Using the WEP 40/128-bit hex option worked, as JohnWill suggested. That must have been the only option I didn't try -- maybe I typed it in wrong. Anyway, it works now, and I really appreciate it.

Memnoch322, thank you for your response. I remember the $ trick from my old Mac, now that you mention it, and forgot to try that one. But apparently newer Macs have made the $ unnecessary. Now I remember going through quite a number a hoops with my iBook in 2002 before I found out about adding the dollar sign!

JohnWill, I tried the 128 encryption initially. It gave me a long WEP key and did not work on my MacBook -- I tried that one the second option, because 128-bit was specified. There, again, I could have mis-typed, but part of my motive is that I vaguely recalled when trying to enter a WEP key into my iBook in 2002 that, at that time, I had to use 64-bit encryption because it had to be 13-digits long with a dollar sign at the beginning.

Does using the 128-bit make that much of a difference? I heard it slows the computer a little more, as well.

#5 ·
The longer key is harder to break, though WEP is pretty easy to crack anyway. Any encryption slows the link down somewhat, but it's hard to justify running wide open. I'd suggest you change the key fairly often.

Glad we could help get you running anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.