pennstater

I am currently using a MacBook Air (Catalina 10.15.6, Early 2014) and had it connected to a Dell P2419H as a second screen (external monitor) using a thunderbolt to HDMI and an HDMI to HDMI connection. It was working fine until I had to disconnect to use the MacBook elsewhere and when I tried to reconnect them, the Dell is not detecting the connection at all. I would appreciate any assistance with this. Thank you.

P.S. I am posting this in this forum as my primary device is a MacBook. If it would better serve in another forum, please feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The question is does the mac detect it when you connect the adapter? II believe you should be able to see it in System Preferences > Display?

Also, make sure that the display is set to Auto, or HDMI if you don't use the monitor for any other device.

pennstater

The question is does the mac detect it when you connect the adapter? II believe you should be able to see it in System Preferences > Display?

Also, make sure that the display is set to Auto, or HDMI if you don't use the monitor for any other device.
The Mac is not detecting the monitor. I even tried the clicking the "Detect Display" button but nothing happened. The Dell is set to Auto.

So this happened once earlier when I first connected the Dell to the Macbook and upon replacing the Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter, it started working. I fear if it is the adapter again that is causing the issue. I tried connecting the HDMI cable in another connection and it worked fine.

If it is the adapter, is there a recommended connection (i.e a direct thunderbolt to HDMI cable (rather than making it a double connecting from the adapter to an HDMI cable) or any other suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online