1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Macbook boot problems

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by gurutech, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I have a Macbook that I "inherited" from a friend who needed the data recovered. This went smoothly, although the hard drive went south, and I'm thinking the motherboard may be on its way out as well.

I bought a new hard drive for it, and somehow I am able to boot Linux from CD, and it will let me install to the hard drive, however when I boot the laptop from the hard drive, all I get is a blank screen with a flashing folder icon on it with a question mark on it.

Not sure exactly what this means, but I think it's safe to assume it means that it can't boot of a non-Mac partition.

How can I get the Macbook to boot from the hard drive with a Linux partition on it, or how can I get a copy of OSX (legally) to install on this Macbook? The laptop is about 3-4 years old, Apple's site says it's from around 2009, and of course, out of warranty.

Can I just download a copy of the OS for a small fee from Apple? Or is there a "trick" to get the Mac to boot to Linux?

2. Headrush

Headrush

3. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

No, haven't done that... Will check that out.

Will it "ruin" a previous installation of Linux? or does it just adjust the partitions so this EFI thing boots first, then loads GRUB, which loads Linux?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054091