1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Macbook Pro crash, no idea what to do

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Rockin69, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rockin69

Rockin69 Thread Starter

Hello. I bought a 13' Macbook Pro in late 2011 with the Lion OS. Then last week, I was browsing some websites when Chrome starting to behave funny...it wasn't going to any website anymore even though I was connected to the internet. I tried to restart the system but nothing happened. So I forced restart on the power button.

When the computer restarted it prompted straight to the Disc Installer and gave me 4 options Reinstall The System; Disc Recovery Utility; Recover from Backup and Contact Apple Support. (the names might be wrong because it's not originally in English, I'm roughly translating it).

I tried the Recovery Utility first but no errors were found. I tried a Time Machine recovery but it cannot find any (it keeps searching forever and no option shows up). I don't have any recent backup on any external HD (guess I should huh?). Finally, I tried to reinstall the system but it tells me that the disc is protected and doesn't allow me to go any further.

Only option apparently is to erase the data, which is similar to a bullet in my head. I'm a recent Mac user and I never faced any problems with it so far so I really don't know what to do. If it was Windows I''d certainly know.

And no, I don't have Applecare.

Any help? Please?

2. Headrush

Headrush

Could be many things. Do you have an external HD you can use?
    If so, I would install a clean OS on it and boot from it. (Yes unlike Windows you can have OS on pretty much any media)

Once you have that we can diagnose the problem on the internal HD and possibly recover your files.
    After that using a program like Carbon Copy Cloner you can transfer clean image back onto the internal HD.

3. tompatrick

tompatrick Banned

Start up from you system installation disk. Insert the disk and hold down the "C" key till the Apple appears. Go to the second screen pull down menu. Go to Utilities > Disk Utilities, Select your drive in the left hand column and run disk repair on the drive till it runs clear. Now repair the permissions. Reboot from the hard drive & see if its fine now.

4. Headrush

Headrush

They already did that.

5. Rockin69

Rockin69 Thread Starter

I do have an external HD. However, I do have some important files inside. Will I lose them if I install the OS on it?

And after the OS is installed, how do I find out what happened to my Mac HD?

6. tompatrick

tompatrick Banned

If you clone the OS to your external HD then it will erase all content and write OS files to it.
    Regarding your troubled HD, if the damage is logical then you can try out of Disk Drill, Tech Tool & Stellar Volume Repair tool. Directory corruption, catalog errors, Invalid tree node etc. faults can be fixed with the use of tool. Other than logical corruption no physical damage would be treated by any of the tool. If your concern is data recovery then there are programs that comes up with bootable Disk & can let you boot the Mac & extract files from the troubled HD.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice