1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Macbook screwed up

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by roho, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roho

roho Thread Starter

I have had Zosemite on my mac for about a year and have hated it ever since. Yesterday I decided to remove it. (Not Smart) I went to disk utility and tried to erase zosemite and that didn't work. It said because of error, that it couldn't un mount the disk. I have a Snow Leopard that I was going to install, but can't do that either. When it shows the disk, it show 158gb free, so that tells me that zosemite is gone. but I have no startup cd. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Headrush

Headrush

I'm confused.

1) You can't erase the hard drive the current OS is running on, hence why the disk couldn't be unmounted.
    2) You said you have Snow Leopard that you were going to install, then you said you have no startup CD.
    So how exactly do you have Snow Leopard?

3) What Mac do you have?
    4) Can you boot in Recovery Mode or Internet Recovery Mode?

3. roho

roho Thread Starter

I have a snow leopard cd that came with my pc when I purchased it 3 years ago. The macbook is a around a 2009 model. I am an old man that knows nothing about Mac's. Snow Leopard was installed. Then I bought M. Lion from Apple and then downloaded Maverick and Zosemite. I don't like Zosemite and wanted it off. This is what happens when I boot now. It goes straight to disk utility every time. Then it wants to reinstall zosemite from app store but I can't go there. I have passwords on a flashdrive but my apple want open it now. Hope you can understand all this.

4. Headrush

Headrush

It sounds like you are booting into Recovery Mode.
    This is a hidden partition on your hard drive and a copy of Yosemite is saved there from where the installer would run. (not App Store)

So if you insert the Snow Leopard CD and hold the C key when the machine boots, does it try to start from the CD?
    (Make sure the CD is clean, wipe from center hole outward. Also note that booting from the CD can take a long time, key holding the C key until you can hear it reading and loading the CD)

5. roho

roho Thread Starter

Headrush, I want to thank you for helping me with this mess. We still have work to do tho.
    I booted with the "c" key pressed. This time it didn't go into the utility program. It went to the language slection, then to "install os x snow leopard". On this screen it shows a hd with a yellow triangle on it. Below that it said OS X cannot startup from this disk. now what?

6. roho

roho Thread Starter

Is there anyone that can help me fix my Mac. I am 72 years old nd don't know much. Read Above.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  7. Headrush

Headrush

If you look in the menubar, you should see an option to go to Disk Utility.
    When you choose that and Disk Utility starts, select your hard drive and click the Partition tab.
    Create 1 partition of type HFS journaled and make sure its a GUID type. (Should be an options button that brings up this option)

Once it is done, quit Disk Utility and it should return to the installer.
    You should be able to pick your hard drive now.

8. roho

roho Thread Starter

I did as you said except after I created 1 partition I saw no where to put HFS journaled. It is set on GUID. Next it said it can't partition the drive because it can't unmount the drive. When I tried to erase the hd several day's ago, it said the sa.me thing

9. roho

roho Thread Starter

Come on guys. Someone tell me how to unmount this drive.

10. roho

roho Thread Starter

Headrush, have you just gave up on my mac and me. I got it so I can put the snow leopard cd in and it comes up to countries. go to next page and looked in the menu to disk utilities and did everything you said but to type HFS jounal in the partition. I can then go back to instakk and see my sl cd in the hd. It will start to install but stops with about 22 minutes left. It said then that it coun't load enoungh files to run. Hope this help you so you can help me. If not, do you all know of anyone I can mail the laptop to or maybe just the hd and cd. Get it fixed anf send it back. I would be glad to pay a reasonal amount.

11. Headrush

Headrush

If you pick your hard drive in Disk Utility (while booted from the CD) can you run repair Disk and see if it shows any errors.

If the hard drive can't be unmounted, especially when started from the CD, there could be physical issues with the hard drive.

12. Headrush

Headrush

How big is your hard drive, you shouldn't run out of space on a freshly formatted hard drive.

You sshould see the HFS option in the pull-down menu in the partition page as seen in this image:
    [​IMG]

Edit: I said HFS journaled before, Mac OS Extended (journaled) is the wording now.

13. roho

roho Thread Starter

Headrush, I got this sucker going, well you and I got it going. Thank you so much. I may be contacting you again soon, because I am wanting to go up to Mavericks. It say's You can download and install Mavericks to where you sl is now if it is 10.6.8 or better. Thanks again.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice