Macbook won't read DVD+R/W?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Fabiogump

had a macbook 2.0GHtz 1 GB RAM for about a month ago, pricy but worth it.

One thing that is bothering me thought.

I have some home movies burned to DVD+R/W that I wanted to edit in Imovie. I put the disc in the Superdrive and it won't even read it, the disc works fine in my DVD player.

I've heard that Mac's won't read DVD-R's because of piracy issues but is there a way around this, or is there a problem that I'm not aware of?

Fabiogump said:
I have some home movies burned to DVD+R/W that I wanted to edit in Imovie. I put the disc in the Superdrive and it won't even read it, the disc works fine in my DVD player.
The drives, in my experience, are quite picky, and will balk at many things that other players/drives will not think twice about. Make sure the disc has no scratches, and is free from any form of smudges, fingerprints, etc.

Fabiogump said:
I've heard that Mac's won't read DVD-R's because of piracy issues but is there a way around this, or is there a problem that I'm not aware of?
This is untrue. For quite a long time the only discs that Mac could burn were DVD-Rs. I've never had any problem reading them, and I've been using DVD drives for as long as they've been available on Mac OS machines.

Fabiogump

tried 3 other DVD+RW I had(recorded TV shows mainly), nada. not even a DVD icon on the desktop

put in my DVD of Easy Rider, fires right up

Was the last session on the media closed?

Edit: What software did you burn these DVDs with?

Fabiogump said:
last session closed? yes

have a DVD recorder, no software involved
Hmmm, strange.
Are your media all the from the same vendor?

I would check the OS X logs and see if there is any clue in there.

Fabiogump said:
had a macbook 2.0GHtz 1 GB RAM for about a month ago, pricy but worth it.
Hi there -

Am I understanding you correctly that this Macbook is brand new?

If so, I would totally take advantage of your warranty and call Apple's tech support. You have 90 days free phone support with your 1 year full warranty. 1-800-275-2273.

Just a suggestion. Good luck. :)

I have a DVD recorder also. You must 'finalize' the disc in order to play it in the Mac, or in other computers for that matter.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online