1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Machine crashes when running multiple programs

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chris in va, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris in va

chris in va Thread Starter

This may be a RAM issue, but I have Win98SE with 248RAM and 1gig Athlon processor. Occasionally my machine crashes when doing certain programs such as downloading off my digital camera, or when I have too many windows open at once. A tech told me that Win98 only recognizes 256RAM, but wouldn't it help if I got an additional RAM card?

When I first installed my cable modem, the thing would crash if you just looked at it. System Works was run on it and found about 150 errors, which really helped it a lot, but it still crashes on occasion. I seem to be hovering around 65MB on my .SWP file if that helps any.

Thanks!

Oh, by the way. Costco has/had these DIMM slot 512 RAM cards for about $50. Would those work? I'd hate to get the wrong kind.

2. spackler

spackler

That sounds like enough RAM to be doing your thing, unless you've got 10 big apps open while trying to render large image changes or transfer really big files (100MB) all at the same time 256MB RAM is enough for most people in most situations.

You may want to try and narrow it down to what is causing it to see if you can reinstall a program. You may have a memory leak which is tough to diagnose sometimes as it may be Windows itself not properly handeling the memory and a reinstall of Windows might help - if you have the time.

The thing to look at is when did this start happening, was it a new program or upgrade that you use a lot or adding new RAM that may not be compatible.

As for your second question, be careful, as always, you get what you pay for. And no all RAM is not compatible with every motherboard/chipset.

3. buckaroo

buckaroo

How big is your HD and how much free space is available? Do you run scan disk and disk defrag regularly?

As far as RAM, WIN 98 is fine up to 512MB. However, you need to know whether you have any open slots to add more RAM. A really good place to get reliable RAM that you can match to your pc:

http://www.crucial.com/

4. chris in va

chris in va Thread Starter

Looks like I have one more slot for some RAM. A guy told me I use PC133 memory, so I'll look into that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice